Author Topic: I just cant find them  (Read 1337 times)

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I just cant find them
« on: Monday 06 March 06 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling with locating the birth of my g grandfather William Sanders for about 1827.  On census returns 1861 onwards it states that he was born in calstock and on another one cuthill.  I found his second marriage in 1857 and it states that his father was called John ( a mariner).  Ive searched 1841 and 51 census but cannot find a link.  I would really love to know his birthdate and more importantly his mothers name so I can start going further back.
I hope someone will be able to help me with this one

Thanks

Mark

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I just cant find them
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Calstock is very near to Cotehele which maybe your cuthill OR it may be referring to Kit Hill which is in nearby Callington.

Go to the 1841 census for Callington. There is a John Sanders and family which includes William of a similar age. Some of the children were born in Cornwall and some out of county thus suggesting the mariner connection perhaps. I know it shows that Wm was born out of county but if there was a strong Calstock connection he mat have thought that he was born there.

Let me know what you think

Fizzy

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
thanks for your reply, ive had a look and it could be them, although I dont think there is anyway of being sure is there.  What was a gate keeper, anything to do with being a mariner?  I know William was married previously so I think my best bet would be to look for this.  Thanks

Mark

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
The address is given as Bowling Green so I assume the gate keeper has something to do with that.

It was just a thought that it may have been a job he was doing if there was no work at sea.

Please let me know how you get on.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 April 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
thanks for your help

mark