Author Topic: Anyone know the location of this bridge pls?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Anyone know the location of this bridge pls?
« on: Monday 06 March 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone can confirm the location of the bridge in the photo which may be in the Roscommon area.  According to her marriage certificate my g grandmother Agnes Handley/Hanley was born in Ireland c 1862 and I believe there was a possible family link with Roscommon.  The picture of her daughter and husband was taken in Ireland and I am hoping that perhaps they were visiting family at the time and it may provide a link to finding Agnes' place of birth.  Agnes' parents were Patrick and Mary A Handley/Hanley.  It is proving very difficult to trace details on the family so whilst this may be a long shot I felt it was worth trying.  Thanks for your help.  Ljay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
WRIGHT (Hertfordshire/London), CROSBY (Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire), STEPHENSON (Middlesex/Surrey), TRIBE (Surrey/London) HATTEMORE (London/Essex/Kent), MARTIN (Birmingham/London), DRIVER (London)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know the location of this bridge pls?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ljay,

Have you thought about sending the picture to the libraries in the county ???
The more people that look at the picture the sooner someone may identify the picture.
http://www.iol.ie/~roslib/branch.html

The local papers are also a possible source of help
http://www.roscommonherald.ie/general/contact.asp

Ramblers and walkers club members may be able to help too
http://www.rosactive.org/Clubs.asp?SportsID=31

The local tourist board offices are also a possibility -

County Roscommon

Boyle Tourist Office
Boyle
Tel. 071 966 2145
Open: seasonal

Roscommon Tourist Information
Roscommon Museum/Library,
Abbey Street,
Roscommon Town
Tel. 090 66 26342
Open: June-Aug, 10am-5.30pm, Mon-Sat

All the Best Chris

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher - thanks so much for your help.  I had sent a copy of the photo to the Roscommon local genealogy society but I had not thought about the libraries, local papers, tourist boards and ramblers clubs.  I will give them a try so very much appreciate the links you supplied.

Good luck with your research.  Ljay
WRIGHT (Hertfordshire/London), CROSBY (Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire), STEPHENSON (Middlesex/Surrey), TRIBE (Surrey/London) HATTEMORE (London/Essex/Kent), MARTIN (Birmingham/London), DRIVER (London)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ljay,

Do you have any other photos taken at the same time as that one of Agnes's daughter and husband standing on the bridge ??? Maybe you have a picture of a family group which would confirm they were visiting relatives. Do you know if they visited any other part of Ireland ??? Have you any idea when the picture was taken ???

This site http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php may assist. It gives townlands where Hanleys lived in Co. Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation of Ireland. The valuation in the county took place in 1857-8. You may be able to limit the search for the bridge to these townlands .. it would certainly save hunting for the bridge in all the townlands in the county.

This is the first time in my life I have participated in a search for a wooden bridge apparently in the middle of nowhere. A railway bridge..no problem..contact railway enthusiasts immediately. A road bridge..same idea..contact motor clubs as they may have organised a rally with the bridge being included in the route used.
A wooden bridge is slightly different. I am just wondering whether to advise you to contact Macra na Ferma (Young Farmer's Club) in Roscommon.

All the Best, Chris

Offline ljay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris - I would think the picture was taken probably around the 1940s as my grandparents were born in the 1890s.  I have checked with all the members of the family for photos and details and we have only come up with an uncle (who was born in 1914 and unfortunately died in 2002) who we think travelled to the Roscommon area in his earlier years to say goodbye to members of the family who were going to the US.  There was mention of a possible priest in the family at the time although my great grandmother married my great grandfather in a Baptist Chapel in Rhode Island.  It is all very vague I am afraid and, despite making contact with a new member of the family through the Rootsweb network which is really wonderful, between us all we have no other evidence of Agnes' birth place.  Originally the census information made us think she was born in Birmingham but her marriage certificate gave her place of birth as Ireland and I think this is much more likely.

So far this seems like looking for a 'needle in a haystack' but I enjoy a challenge and this certainly seems to fit the bill.  It is really helpful to have someone else's input and I certainly would not have thought of half the possible options you have come up with, not least the Young Farmers who may well have the answer.  One can only hope that after all this the bridge still exists!!!  I have contacted all those you suggested before so am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Thanks once again for your help.  Best wishes Ljay

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ljay,

What do you mean if it still exists ??? It is a very sturdy looking bridge. Another thought struck me though if the bridge had ever required some repairs a local joiner or craftsman is bound to know about that bridge unless, of course, he is dead by now. If we could find that bridge we could touch wood. I use a wooden desk so I have touched it and hope we hear more about this bridge. 

All the Best, Chris