Author Topic: Thomas Moore of Gringley  (Read 2560 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Moore of Gringley
« on: Monday 06 March 06 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-grandfather was Thomas Moore born about 1813 in Gringley, Nottinghamshire. Does anyone please have a record of his birth and possibly who his parents were?

Thanks very much in adanvce,
Simon Rollitt

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moore of Gringley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
He moved to Gainsborough in Lincolnshire and married Sarah Wilson there, although they appear to have had their second son John Moore back in Gringley in 1840. First, third, and subsequent children were born in Gainsborough.

Offline misha888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

I've checked the Notts FHS disk for baptisms and i only found 2 Moore's baptised in Gringley, Elizabeth and George, children of Paul and Rebecca Moore, in 1848 and 1850 respectively.

It is possible that the year in question hasn't yet been transcribed. Was he definately born in Gringley? I checked the surname Moor too, but didn't find any.

You might have to ask someone to check the Gringley parish register at the Notts County Archives.

All the best,

Mishka
Retford, Notts: Lane, Marsh, Theaker, Jeffrey, Jervas, Savage & Hindley. Worksop, Notts: Hall, Neep, Thorn, Smith & Hodkin. Bedford: Wilson & Whitfield. Peterborough, Hunts: Beeby, Sawyer, Rimes, Redhead & Lowe. Kent: Simmonds & Wood. Newcastle: Forster & Talbot.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for researching and replying Mishka. If it wasn't Gringley he was from it was somewhere between Gringley and Gainsborough. Thinking cap on again.

Thanks again - Simon

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

There is a baptism at North Wheatley of a Thomas Moore to Willm and Mary 13/05/1810. Right area but a little early?

Also a clutch of other children to the same parents ..Ann, William, Mary, Margaret, Joseph, Thomas. Not sure if the names will give you any clues?

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Also a Thomas to John and Ann at Misterton 25/02/1810. plus a John, William and Robert also at Misterton. For the first two the family abode is given as Stockwith
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Heather. I'll check these details out. There is a triangle of settlements between Gainsborough and Gringley on the Hill - Walkerith, East and West Stockwith, Misterton, Walkeringham, and Beckingham. Did Gainsborough itself used to be inside Nottinghamshire? If so, when did it become part of Lincolnshire?

Thanks again,
Simon

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 06 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Heather,

I sent off for Thomas Moore's marriage certificate and it arrived this morning. His father was John Moore, a farmer. That ties in with what you said about the 25th Feb 1810 baptism of Thomas Moore in Misterton whose parents were John and Ann. You then said that John and Ann had other sons John, William, and Robert baptised in Misterton and that the family abode for John and William was Stockwith. Can you confirm whether the family abode when Thomas was baptised was Misterton? Also, is it possible to find the marriage of John Moore and Ann?

Thanks again in advance,
Simon

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 March 06 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

here are the details from the index.

All baptisms to John and Ann Moore at Misterton
John 12/08/1804, of Stockwith
William 05/05/1806, of Stockwith
Thomas 25/02/1810
Robert 26/06/1812

No abode given for these last two I'm afraid, or father's profession for any of them. Nor can I see a marriage there. This one isn't going to be easy is it? :)

Heather