Author Topic: How sure can I be?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How sure can I be?
« on: Monday 06 March 06 18:30 GMT (UK) »
How sure can I be that I'm tracking the correct person/persons?  I have the marriage of direct ancestors but the record does not give parents names, only witnesses.  I've found births on the IGI that look likely BUT the christenings were in Kilnwick and the marriage states of the parish of DALTON.

Even if I get hold of the original (well copy of) the parish record it will not prove that I'm tracking the right person.  I suppose what I'm asking is - how do you lot determine whether you should go down a particular road?

Sorry if I sound a bit daft but up to early 1700s I've been 99% sure of my facts but now?   How the heck do I get it back?

Shonagh

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How sure can I be?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you can ever be 100% on the tree when it goes back that far, then it is a case of best guess, as long as you say that in your tree and are happy with the connection I see nothing wrong with holding on to the family until proven wrong.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: How sure can I be?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I think we all get to that point eventually. You've done great to get as far as early 1700s without too many doubts.

It's this part of researching family history which most appeals to me. I must be a masochist! You dig up different clues, put them together and - hopefully - follow the right line. Of course, if you run into Smiths and Jones it makes life even harder.   ::)

I don't think I'm alone in admitting that I've been up the wrong track more than once but that's half the fun!  :-[

The most helpful points I find-

- marriages usually ( but not always) take place in the bride's parish. So, if you've got a likely baptism in the same parish at the right time, with the name of the bride, you can be pretty sure she's yours.

- I also look at naming patterns. If I've got a likely baptism for , e.g. Henry Bloggs, son of Francis and Jemima. I'd be worried if I subsequently found Henry's marriage and he had 8 children - none of whom were called Francis or Jemima!

I keep a 'master copy' of my tree with the ancestors I'm sure of , and a rough copy with those waiting to be confirmed. The further back I go, the more are on the rough copy!!

It's great when you find that one piece of the jigsaw which enables you to move a family group onto the master copy.

I love it when a plan comes together!!  ;D ;)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.