Author Topic: Albert Newell 1901  (Read 4518 times)

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Newell 1901
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 March 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob
You are welcome, and come on admit it......Just like the rest of us on here you love it when you find more to do. Thats what makes it so much fun!!!!!!
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 December 10 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Anyone interested still in Albert Edward Newell of Tadlow. I'm his grandson, and back in about 1980 spent a lot of time on genealogy of the family. Any details you need?

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys, I know this is many years after original post, but I have a correction/clarification to make:

You write
Found them on the 1861 and 1851 and seems I was wrong, the 1871 should read WILLIAM NEWELL 'SON' 27
I thought the grandson was correct because of Sarah's age, but the 1851 and 1861 confirm that William is the son of JOHN and SARAH

William is actually William Muncey Newell, illegitimate son of Mary Newell, christened 13 Aug 1843, died 11jan1887. In the 1871 census he is correctly described as 'Grandson', but in 1851 and 1861 he is incorrectly described as a 'Son'. Clearly in the earlier censuses his grandparents John and Sarah (parents of Mary) were hiding the illegitimacy with a little fib, claiming William was their child. A very common occurrence I suspect. Clearly by 1871 they had got over it a bit.

If the father of William Muncey Newell had been man enough to marry Mary when it was realised she was bearing his child, then I would, I'm sure, be Colin Muncey today, not Colin Newell, Grandson of Albert Edward Newell, Great Grandson of William Muncey Newell

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Further to my earlier post re William Muncey Newell being illegitimate, I now notice a similar very situation for Fanny Newell. She is in truth the illegitimate daughter of Charlotte Newell, and granddaughter of John and Sarah. She is incorrectly described as their 'Daur' in the 1851 and 1861 censues, but correctly as 'Grandaur' in the 1871 census. She was christened 10dec1848 in Wrestlingworth.