Author Topic: swinburne  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: feehan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 April 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
looking for the family of James Orrell Swinburne who lived in limerick about 1843 any information would be greatly appreciated davem

As far as I'm aware there isn't a Blackrock in Limerick unless it's a tiny village. There are Blackrocks in Cork and Dublin, try those boards.

Sharon

Have I missed something here Sharon ??? Where is the reference to Blackrock ???

All the Best, Chris

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: swinburne
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 06 08:03 BST (UK) »
The first post was edited, it did have a question about blackrock in it.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
The first post was edited, it did have a question about blackrock in it.

Sharon

Hiya Sharon,

I am not certain about a hotelier being a gentleman. A gentleman was usually a person with a private income.
A hotelier would have been counted as someone who was in trade and would have been frowned upon by a gentleman. I would say you are one hundred percent correct in your assessment that the hotelier and livery stable proprietor were the same person.

By the way there is a place named Blackrock in Co. Louth. http://www.familysearch.org
shows a James Swinburne married at Bellingham, Co. Louth in 1862. However the same site says the guy was born in Wiltshire, England in 1848. I find it hard to believe that he married at the young age of fourteen.

All the Best, Chris 

Offline Davem

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 06 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi sharon & chris,
I may have clicked on Limerick and asked a question about BlackRock i think thats when things got confused,

Davem

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
I am not certain about a hotelier being a gentleman. A gentleman was usually a person with a private income.
A hotelier would have been counted as someone who was in trade and would have been frowned upon by a gentleman.

Thanks for that Chris, I didn't think that a Hotelier was a trade, being the boss, but we learn something new every day.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
A hotelier would have been counted as someone who was in trade and would have been frowned upon by a gentleman.

Thanks for that Chris, I didn't think that a Hotelier was a trade, being the boss, but we learn something new every day.

Sharon

Hiya Sharon,

Many bosses in hotels work much longer hours than their employees...would you say that they were gentlemen of leisure ??? Why did the profession on the marriage certificate not say hotelier ???

All the Best, Chris