Author Topic: advice needed  (Read 2767 times)

Offline kelt01

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
advice needed
« on: Tuesday 07 March 06 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I would be very grateful for any help however small. I am really stuck on this particular branch of my family. I am tring to find my Grandfather's details but his name changed a couple of times, this is what I know,
My father's name on b/c is Davies and his father is a David Davies.
When my father's mother died David Evans was the name her husband gave as informant. He in turn has been buried as Davies but his obituary was Evans...Now in the 1920's he married my grandmother in a catholic church in Sligo under the name John Evans his father is down as a Richard A. Evans -Miner.
It seems to me, as my grandmother was a strict catholic he was more likey to be giving his real name in the church, also on my fathers baptism certificate from St.Mary's WXM my father is an Evans and his father David John Evans. 
My father was born in Penycae while his mysterious father was born in Rhos.
I understand but have no proof that he was in Ireland with the Black and Tans who were quite reviled, did he go awol and change his name? I have no idea. The only thing I can think of doing is to find out from the 1901 census if there is a David or John Evans in Rhos with a father called Richard. he was born abt 1891 as he died in 1964 aged 73.
I'm sorry it's confusing any help would be fantastic.
thank you for taking the time to read this
Woodward,Newby,Fox,Dawson,Pemberton,Wheatley,Tarleton,Quayle

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 09:28 GMT (UK) »
This sounds very strange ???
As it's so late on I don't think the old Welsh patronymic form would be in use. This is when the person is known as son of/daughter of - David ap David to  David David to David Davies.
 It would be worth checking to see if your grandfather's father was named Evan - David ap Evan - David Evan - David Evans.

I think a bit of checking on Censuses and BMD might be worthwhile.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kelt01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello
On his marriage certificate he has put his father down as Richard A Evans.
He has married using the name of John Evans while using David John Evans on my father's baptism certificate.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Well the John and David can be explained :-\ But still can't figure out the Davies.
I think some people on this board may have access to the Rhos parish records(I presume Rhosllanerchrugog, given you mention Wrexham and Penycae). If he was Roman Catholic also he wouldn't show up. It might be worth checking the NorthWales BMD site. I think the Wrexham B C BMDs are up for that period.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kelt01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
From what I remember my father only mentioned his mother being a catholic, there again would a catholic church of married someone if they weren't?
what site would you recommend for the census.
I have looked at the BMD and found 1 john Evans 1890
2 John's and a David Evans for 1891
1 David Evans 1892
All these are Ruabon district which I understand covers Rhos.
If I could match 1 up with a Richard I would be getting somewhere.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, you won't find the name of parent unless you buy the certificate or find a baptism record :(

Gadget

Offline kelt01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I have phoned Wrexham registry Office they have told me that if i give them the reference numbers and mention that I only want one which has a Richard Evans as father then they will send certificate for £7.00.
I will give that a try.
All the years I lived in Wrexham too, I could of had a look myself, now I'm 400 miles away I want to know...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
I have phoned Wrexham registry Office they have told me that if i give them the reference numbers and mention that I only want one which has a Richard Evans as father then they will send certificate for £7.00.
I will give that a try.
All the years I lived in Wrexham too, I could of had a look myself, now I'm 400 miles away I want to know...

Hi No 1 Kelt :)

Glad you've taken the plunge. Local Registries are usually very helpful and friendly.

I feel the same about that bit - and I'm even further from the homeland. The NorthWales BMD project is very good though. I do go back once in a while  - but it's not the same when there's no 'home'  :(

Gadget

Offline kelt01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I still go back to visit once a year, but I understand they have growing problems with drugs etc..we still have a farm shop here where you leave your money in a plastic tub and take your change..
 But this family history business I love it but it's frustrating too, between this family and a Liverpool one, I could do with a day down there too.
take care
Norma