Author Topic: An amazing coincidence!  (Read 5152 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Re: An amazing coincidence!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I was getting pretty paranoid about some of my coincidences ???, they almost verge on incest some of them :o, cousins marrying brothers and sisters, that sort of thing...which is only really a coincidence because I didn't know and came across it by accident :-\, but you know the oooh feeling you get ::)..., but the best was my ? great uncle was a witness to my great great grandparents wedding ???...nothing odd about that, except the uncle was on mam's side and the the grandparents are on dad's side, and as far as I am aware there was no prior connection!  I think I have already done a post on this so forgive me repeating myself
I think I have already done a post on this so forgive me repeating myself ;D ;D ;D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Did you feel mysteriously drawn to your house when you bought it, Sally?! Wouldn't it be amazing to find you were unknowingly living in the same house as your forebears – or perhaps (if your house is more modern) on the same site as their home?

Jane

Strangely enough, yes.  We had looked at about 4-5 other houses nearby and none were suitable.  We had to ask directions of the estate agent as to where our street was, but as soon as we walked in, I turned to my now husband and said, "This is it."

Our house is quite old, complete with old buildings outside that were originally the toilets etc.  I've always felt safe here and have never minded being in alone or anything, but it certainly spooked my next door neighbour when I showed her the census page!!

I'm not too sure how to find out exactly which house my ancestors lived in, but I quite like the idea, really, and wonder how much things have changed since their time.  I know it's really unlikely that they lived in this exact house, but even knowing I live on the same street is great by me.

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 March 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
The best way to find the house, Sally would be to find the street in the census and look at the street which was done before it. Find the end of your street linked to that one and count each house as you go along the census. It usually shows the houses that were shared so it might be easy enough to find out.

Do let us know if it is your house they lived in though - now I can't wait

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 March 06 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Sally I love your story and hope you soon find your ancestors house, what a fantastic coincidence.

All mine are sight coincidences (more like 'that's odd'). My family, I though, were from Birmingham and that was that, but I recently found my GGG Granfather Samuel Cheshire was born 1847 in Atherstone Warks and his son was born and brought up in Nuneaton (down the road). My parents only moved to Hurley near Atherstone 1961 from a few years in Scotland and I was born 1963 but at a few weeks old moved to Nuneaton. My family left here in 1970 for Brinscall in Lancashire and I moved to Surrey with my future husband in 1984.

Also from recent searches I found that some family born in the sound of the Bow Bells had ancestors (are you following this  ;) ) who originated from Odiham Hampshire just a few miles down the road from where I live now and whilst doing a college course went to Odiham castle to base a graphics project on it. Why on earth I was drawn there I don't know, there are better examples of castles elsewhere. I have only recently found this out and am keen to go and search out any grave stones - I've not told my husband of my plans yet!!!

There are many more similarities and I haven't started on my Dad's side yet.
I find it quite comforting to know my ancestors lived close by, I feel like I belong somewhere now! :)

Pipkim   ;)
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I've just started on my husbands tree only to find that his GG Grandmother Jane Pemberton was born in Chorley :o Lancs. His family for a few generations had all be born in Manchester.

The coincidence being that my husband and I met in Chorley despite both of us not originating from there and that it was his first visit to the town. It was a chance meeting in a popular town centre pub and I had not intended to be there that night. We felt like we'd known each other for ever.  :D

Now all I have to do is find some of my mostly Birmingham based family in Manchester.
There is one person I'm stuck on and that's my G Grandmother Agnes Catherine Quinn born 1877 supposed to be born Birmingham (census info) but I can't find her on BMD, but there is an Agnes Quinn 1877 in Prestwich and another in Burnley 1878. But that's possibly for the Lancashire posts.

Oh well, it wasn't as strong a coincidence as other peoples but it excited me at the time I saw 'Chorley' leap off the census page.   :)

Pipkim
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi pipkim

Oh well, it wasn't as strong a coincidence as other peoples but it excited me at the time I saw 'Chorley' leap off the census page.   :)

Pipkim

Anything that gives us a buzz is worth sharing ??? ::)...well perhaps not anything :-[ :o ;D, but you know what I mean.  As for feeling like you've known each other for ever, that has to mean something...!
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The best way to find the house, Sally would be to find the street in the census and look at the street which was done before it. Find the end of your street linked to that one and count each house as you go along the census. It usually shows the houses that were shared so it might be easy enough to find out.

Do let us know if it is your house they lived in though - now I can't wait

Carol

Just an update - I don't think I'm going to find out the number of the house my relatives lived in in 1881.  I've worked through the census (1881) and the street doesn't even link to the same ones as now.  Must have changed loads since then. Oh, well, never mind.

However,   ::)  you're not going to believe this, BUT..., I've just found ANOTHER relative (on my paternal grandmother's side rather than my paternal grandfather's) who lived on the same street in 1891.   :D

Admittedly, this one is my great grandfather's younger sister, so not a direct rellie this time, and she ups and moves away to Wakefield by 1901. 

I only discovered all this late last night, and have come to the conclusion that my street must have been quite long (only 10 pages on the census!!) and that everyone and their mother must have lived here at some point.  ;D ;D

Just thought I'd let you know,

Sally

Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh well - maybe you will find one of them again later or even earlier

Carol

PS Mine never lived there lol - saying that though - you never know

PPS Yes I am sat in Germany at the moment on my brother in law's computer with no broadband and a German keyboard so all the letters are in different places and some are not even here!!!  :o  I write You as Zou! and it's comes out as itÄs Have to take twice as long to check the letters as I type

Be back in 14 days
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Sally

It would be worth a trip to your local library.  They could have information about the street and when it changed.  Our library is very good on local history.

What a great story.  I'm afraid non of my ancestors lived in my street unless they were sheep.  It was a field before I moved here.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston