Author Topic: starting a family bible  (Read 12495 times)

Offline sunnyg1rl05

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
starting a family bible
« on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi im new to all this, ive heard of family bibles but never seen one are they blank pages or is it a real bible?  ive asked memebrs of my family if there is one and no one knows how do i go about starting one? and how far back do i go, and what do i put in it,

so many question, sorry just want to do it all correctly.

kaz
warwickshire: blakeman, lines, Taylor, wilcox
somerset, taunton: hallet
shropshire, bridgnorth, cleobury mortimer: foxall, poyner,charles
worcestershire: hardwick, smith
Gloucestershire: Smith, Pearse
monmouth:pontypool, meredith,
Caernarvon: humphreys
denbighshire, evans

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: starting a family bible
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi kaz and welcome to rootschat,

Most families would have had a bible sitting on their shelf and would have used it on a regular basis (in some parts of Scotland it was the only thing that could be read on a sunday). These bibles would have been any size, from the pocket or hand held size to the large table bibles that one sees now and again at antique and collector fairs.

As for what was written in side them, well I suppose that it greatly depended on the family (or family member) who wrote in their bibles as to its content. My great grandmother (on my mothers, mothers side) was given a small pocket sized bible the year before she married in 1878. In this, on the front and back fly and inner covers someone has written the children's details (names, dates of birth-and death- and also the time of birth as well as the place of birth in some cases, ever so helpful were my ancestors for once) from her marriage and it was this that really started me of on my research years ago. Also in the bible I found details of my great grandmothers siblings and other rellies which went back to 1848 which had been written in a different hand but with the same details of those mentioned.

If I were to write in one today to start "a family bible" which was to be handed down I suppose I would have to try and put direct lines in as far back as I could down to the most recent child and then as each child or "new" rellie was born their details would go in there as well.

Thinking about this I suppose an entry would possibly look something like this;

Joseph Bloggs. son of Joseph and Josephine Bloggs (nee Smith). born Saturday 1st April 2006 at 14.00hrs at xxx Hospital, Essex. Weight 7lb. 6oz.

Then if little Joe Bloggs was christened at some stage you could always put that in as well.

hope that this is of some help

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline sunnyg1rl05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley,

Thank you so much for replying, you have really helped me im considering buying a bigger bible than the one ive got, hasnt got enough blank pages to be able to write everybody down.

thanks again

kaz
denbighshire, evans

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaz
We have a family bible somewhere in the family, never seen it. So I decided to start my own, my children bought me one for my first wedding anniversary last week.
It is 11 inches by 8.5 inches.

King James Bible.
At the front it has pages for
This Holy Bible is presented... to.... by...date.....

A space for my marriage
A page for "Record of Births"
Husband's family tree.............
Wifes Family tree.........
Record of deaths............

Family Record Edition.

It is really lovely, the front looks like old brown leather, the edge of the pages are gold.

My dad picked it up from a book shop in  the West End (London)

Now I need a decent pen, and to put all my dates in order to add my ancestors and family.

The family tree goes back to ggg grandparents.
It has space for 15 births and 22 deaths.

I would like to also pick up a Scottish bible for my g grandfather, so next time I go to Glasgow I'll buy one.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline sunnyg1rl05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,

Ive seen some on  ebay like that with pages in the middle to add family details, i found one out one of my hubbys ancestors were given a family bible by the church they belonged to when they got married, would love to find out whos got it and have a peek
denbighshire, evans

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunny
I would love to read what is in "our" family bible.....
But it still in someone's attic, such a waste as they have no interest in genealogy.

Do they have new ones on eBay? I have seen the used ones.

Hope you find out who's bible it is  ;)
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 January 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
pettsey - you need to get that bible!
our family one is HUGE - goes back to early 1800s and has deatils of family members and some new surnames that i would never have known about. lovely colour pics too. Its about 18" by about 12" nd about 4" thick in a big solid cover with a gold lock
Needs rebinding tho
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor