Author Topic: SEYMOUR Surname-Religion Question  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Purrsha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SEYMOUR Surname-Religion Question
« on: Wednesday 08 March 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I am doing some family history research and am wondering if anyone on this forum can help with sources for a social/historical question related to Cavan circa 1800-1850.

Where can I obtain information on the frequency of intermarriage between Catholics and other religions during this time in Cavan? I have come across the name SEYMOUR as the middle name of my great grandfather's first son and am thinking it must have been a family surname-- perhaps my g-grandfather's mother's maiden name. It is an predominantly English surname so I am rather lost as to what the connection might be. My great grandfather was Catholic-- surname O'Brien, born about 1828 in County Cavan-- so I am wondering how common intermarriage would have been between the prevailing religions of Cavan during that time. From what I've found on the Internet, it seems rare.  I'm puzzled by the Seymour surname as the middle name of my g-grandfather's first born son.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: SEYMOUR Surname-Religion Question
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Purrsha,

There were a reasonable number of families with the name Seymour in Ireland between 1848-64 when Griffiths Valuation of Ireland took place. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php I will agree there were none in Co. Cavan. The two surnames were found in the same parish in seventeen counties in Ireland at the time of the Valuation. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

All the Best,

Chris 

Offline Purrsha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. Christopher... perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree, so to  speak, with County Cavan.  However, my g-grandfather's death notice in 1883 said he was a native of that county and when I found the middle name of his first born son, I figured it had to be the name of a close relative.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 06 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Purrsha,

The name Seymour could be that of a close relative. They may not necessarily have lived in Co. Cavan and they may also have skipped a generation before using the name. It could also have been the name of a close friend of the family who may have been a sponsor of a child at a christening or a confirmation.

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline Purrsha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 06 02:11 GMT (UK) »
It's unfortunate-- and frustrating-- that I have so little information on my g-grandfather.  That's what got me looking at the names of his children-- there were nine and only my grandfather survived.  I will certainly look for this first son's baptismal certificate.  The Archdiocesan records for New Orleans, where I live and where my g-grandfather settled, survived Hurricane Katrina but they are not processing orders for baptismal certificates at this time.  It may be many more months before that happens because, as you can imagine, things are a mess here.  I thought the middle name was significant because it is mentioned on the son's death certificate.  A death certificate for the second son I've found has no middle name-- and he died two days after the first son.  So I do feel there is some reason for the decisive mention of the Seymour name.

I tended to think the name Seymour would be connected to Cavan or somewhere else in Northern Ireland because it is largely an English surname.  That's also why I asked the question about intermarriage between religions because I think it was rare at that time.