Author Topic: 1910 Census Lookup  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1910 Census Lookup
« on: Wednesday 08 March 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
This request is a real longshot and I might be asking more than is doable at this point in time.
I am looking for a family that might be in the 1910/11 Irish Census (probably North Ireland) as follows:
William Bell, born Dec 1872, Ireland
Sarah J. Bell, born Sept 1872, Ireland
William Bell, son  b. April 1899, Pennsylvania, USA
Lizzie A. Bell, daughter b. April 1900, Pennsylvania, USA

The above information is taken from the 1900 Philadelphia, PA census.   I have reason to believe that this William Bell might be my great grandfather's brother who immigrated to USA in 1894 (William and Sarah J where married about 1897 and their first daughter who died in 1898 happens to be buried in my great grandparents' cemetery plot in Phila).    However I cannot find him or his offspring in the later census records.    So I am wondering whether he might have went back to Ireland and be listed in the 1910/11 Irish census, which I understand is available.   However I do not know whether it is indexed?
I realize this is a very long shot but any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bob Croman
Plano, TX

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1910 Census Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:36 GMT (UK) »
The 1911, is in the process of being indexed, our government said that it should be available in three years. It is available in most local library's but with out knowing at least the townland, let alone the county it would be almost impossible to do that search.
Your going to just have be patient.  :)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Going through older posts and came across this one. By now you might have been able to find more information but if you haven't done so the following might be of interest.

The 1911 (and 1901) census is now online. There's a John Bell with nephew William Bell age 12 born America and two nieces (Elizabeth and Sarah) also born in America in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Moneyhaw/Derrycrummy/614883
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks for this 1911 census lookup.    There is a good possibility that these three Bell children (William, 12; Elizabeth, 10; and Sarah, 8) are the ones I am interested in.    With this information I looked on Ancestry and found that the ship "Astoria" arrived in Londonderry on 3 January 1906 with William, 5+6/12; Lizzie, 4; Sarah, 2: and Richard, 11/12 traveling with their mother Sarah J. Bell age 36.   This family is very close to the Phila family listed in the 1900 US census and the 1911 Londonderry census.   So there are diffident possibilities here.

Can someone give me a quick lesson on the geography of the census isting of Derrycrummy (Moneyhaw, Londonderry).    Searching maps online I am led to believe that the location is somewhere south of Churchtown, north of Cookstown and west of Lough Neagh?   Is it close to the boundary between County Londonderry and County Tyrone?   The reason I ask is because William Bell the father arrived in Philadelphia, Pa and was listed as from Tyrone.

Again many thanks for your help.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  the area you describe is very close to the border of Co.Londonderry and Co. Tyrone.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim