Author Topic: District Holy Cross Home, Haywards HeatH  (Read 9459 times)

Offline Healey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: District Holy Cross Home, Haywards HeatH
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 06 11:53 BST (UK) »
This sounds like the Convent of the Holy Cross in Bolnore Road Haywards Heath. which was opened in 1887 by an order of nuns that moved down from London. It included an Orphanage of up to 60 children from infancy to 18 when they left to go into service. the orphanage closed in 1926. The convent closed in 1980 but the order still exists in Nottingshire. My Great Grandfather George Nichols moved down from London with the convent and the Nichols family worked for them for 5 generations My Great Grandmother Sarah was Matron of the Orphanage. Hope the attached photos will be of  Dennis Nichols

Offline w105uk aka Margi :-)

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • is back from hols :-( and back at work :-(
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
thanks for that info i will print the photos to put in with my 'stuff' ................it looks like girls were prob well looked after...........

and then i'll be checking the 1911 to see what became of them.............only 5more years  ;D
Brook,Suffolk, London,Nottingham. <br />Goodchild, Suffolk<br />Boreham,Suffolk<br />Youngman, Suffolk, Australia<br />Day, Suffolk<br />Beckett, Suffolk<br />Last, Suffolk

Offline JENANN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I know this is an old post but I have just come across it. Does anyone know if this is the same place as Holy Cross convalescent home . My ancestor is in the 1911 census as a patient in the Holy Cross convalescent home at Haywards Heath. I was also wondering if anyone knows if this place took children with TB in the 1910 to 1920 era. My grandmother was in a convent run by high church of england nuns for TB as a child and when she recovered she stayed on to be trained as a childrens nurse and then went into service.
Sorry to be so long winded.Thankyou in advance for any help. Jen
Woodgate- Waldron,Eastbourne,Sussex
Delves-  Waldron,Hellingly,Eastbourne,Sussex