Author Topic: Thomas Torrance Merchant Seaman  (Read 3335 times)

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Torrance Merchant Seaman
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on Thomas Torrance.He was the Father of Andrew Torrance born Leswalt 1817 Mother Elizabeth Linn/Lind.
I cannot find any marriage on the IGI,OPR or any Census info on him.
Elizabeth lived to be ninety after helping to bring up James Andrew's son after his Mother Margeret Barnes died when he was 2/3.
Thomas as far as Andrew's marriage on the OPR states was born in Ireland but I have no further record of him anybody help???PLEASE.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline altorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Torrance Merchant Seaman
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 May 08 06:18 BST (UK) »
I am new to RootsChat so have only just read your post.

I have a similar problem in that my GGGF was an Andrew Torrance born c.1796 in Ireland, so was a contemporary of your Thomas. He first turns up in the 1851C  in Edinburgh, under name TOLLANCE, aged 47/49. Then in 1861C under name TORRANCE with age as 65 therefore born 1796. 

In his DC  he is aged 70 in 1866 ie born 1796 also under name TOLLANCE & witnessed by son Wm.Tollance my GGF. The DC also gives his father as Andrew Torrance a Cooper in Ireland and mother Rose Ann McCairns. He married a Mary Morrison also from Ireland. The only Andrew Torrance marriage that fits is to Mary Torrance IN LESWALT in 1835!

Mary's DC says she had previously been married to a Surgeon in the Royal Navy so maybe there is a seaman connection here also?? If my Andrew was also in the Navy or Merchant navy, this might explain why there is no sign of  him before 1851.

There are a lot of Torrens/Torrances from the Bann Valley in Derry. Most of them appear to be flax farmers and weavers who emigrated originally from Scotland in the 17th & 18th century. If you don't have it already there is an excellent Torrance Family site at

http://www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Torrens/Trees/index.html

I can't find my Andrew but there are several Thomas's so might be worth a look.

Have you looked for Thomas's DC on SP? There are 19 on SP between 1855 and 1900.

Hope this helps - you never know, they might be brothers or cousins!

Best regards,

Alastair McLean Torrance

PS I note that you are also searching for McKimmie's - I have an Elspat McKimmie b.1701 in Rothes Moray with parents George McKimmie & Marjorie Grant. Any interest?