Author Topic: Pantywaun village, near Dowlais  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pantywaun village, near Dowlais
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Anybody have any information on families in the village of Pantywaun, which was demolished circa 1962, to make way for the Taylor Woodrow opencast? My mother, Maria Cordani, was born in nearby Blaen Carno in 1933, while my grandmother, Catherine Griffiths's birth took place in Pantywaun in 1905. I believe all her six siblings were also born there, as were, as far as I am aware, her parents, William Griffiths and Sarah Jane Griffiths (nee Thomas). I am led to believe that Sarah Jane's mother, known as "Mam Tafarn Uchaf" at one time had one of the three pubs in the village.   
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pantywaun village, near Dowlais
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Try the following link

http://alangeorge.co.uk/pantywaun.htm

A Google search will give you more info

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Al Jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a fair bit of info on Pantywaun
My father lived there from 1918 to 1939

I am not sure how to get your e mail but it would a goo[d way of communicating

Offline RhiannonPrice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
My grandfather and great grandfather lived near to Pant-y-waun in the Cutting House or Signal Master's House. 
My great grandfather was the Signal Master for the railway.  His name was Thomas Daniel Morgan. 
My grandfather was Douglas Morgan (Panto).
What information do you have about families from Pant-y-waun?

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Largely through the efforts of Rhys, Osprey and Arranroots (thanks once again, guys!) I have in the past few months learned more about the Pantywaun branch of my family tree than I ever thought I would. Apart from the surnames Griffiths and Thomas which I already knew about, I now know that I have ancestors who were either born in or came to the village and the surrounding area by the names of Richards and Phelps. My great-grandfather, William Griffiths, was a plate-layer on the railways, as was his father, another William Griffiths. My other great-grandfather, David Thomas, was for a time the landlord of the Royal Arms, one of the (as I understand it) three pubs in the village. All that may not be strictly relevant to you, but you never know!

Mike 
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline RhiannonPrice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
I don't think its s relevant to me but possible link with railway could mean our family's worked alongside one another.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 06 14:24 BST (UK) »
A forebear of mine, Morgan Thomas, his wife Margaret, and 10-month-old daughter Ann, were living at Pantywaun in the 1841 Census. Morgan was then a 20-year-old collier, but by 1851 had taken over Coly Isaf Farm, Bedlinog, which he ran until his death in the 1870s. Given that he moved out and Ann and his other kids were brought up at Coly Isaf, there are unlikely to have been any descendants living at Pantywaun, but perhaps any other Thomases were descended from a brother or two?
    Maybe there's a connection somewhere!
      Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk