Author Topic: Double Entry  (Read 804 times)

Offline br2az04

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • My Grandparents and Great-Grandparents
    • View Profile
Double Entry
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:42 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 Census my GGG Grandfather  John Swain was entered twice.

He was recorded as a servant in weston aged 15 and as a son a couple of streets away also aged 15. Unless it is two different people.

Anyone else have a double entry ;)
Bradford - St Pancras<br />Senior - Islington, St Pancras<br />Bowles - St Pancras<br />Eaves - St Pancras, Islington<br />Hodges - St Pancras, Islington<br />Nunn - St Pancras, Islington<br />Smith - Islington, St Pancras<br />Brown, Islington, St Pancras

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Double Entry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Are the place born details the same? Also you could try and find if there are two John Swain's in the 1851 and 1871 census's (or should that be censi  ;D)

Of course there is also the possibility that both households put him down even if he was absent from one.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Lendevon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I have come across this situation before. Where an employer and a family both include someone. More worrying is the thought that both might leave him off thinking the other's including him. Could explain many a "missing relative".
Kent - Piper, Longley, Colvin,Parks,Baker,Saitt
Essex - Wade, Shipp, Warren, Davies, Walford

Offline br2az04

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • My Grandparents and Great-Grandparents
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the later census and earlier one and only found one person with those details. I have visions of him being at work when the enumerator came then finishing work and running home and catching the second enumerator at his home. It would have been even better it  had been in the same district hence the same enumerator
Bradford - St Pancras<br />Senior - Islington, St Pancras<br />Bowles - St Pancras<br />Eaves - St Pancras, Islington<br />Hodges - St Pancras, Islington<br />Nunn - St Pancras, Islington<br />Smith - Islington, St Pancras<br />Brown, Islington, St Pancras

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a 1851 census with all the kids methodically entered by age then the eldest added after the double line, which is crossed out. I assume she came home late!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a great uncle who is on the "persons not on board ship" list on HMS something in Portsmouth harbour - Great Uncle is also listed at home with his missus a few streets away, enjoying some creature comforts I would imagine!

Veron  ;)
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 06 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My desendents will find both my daughters entered on the 2001 census twice,.

As the census instructions were to enter anyone staying with you at the time of the census my ex-husband entered his daughters onto the census form.

The instructions also stated I should enter anyone living in the house even if they were not there on the night  - so I entered my daughters names also at my address, as they reside with me.

My ex and I were both unaware of this until double entry a later date, but we both acted on the instructions we were given on the form......

Their double entry will no doubt lead to confusion for any desendent trying to trace there family history!

I expect there are a few cases of double entry in years gone by for the same reason - conflicting instructions on the form as to whom you should enter

Lemon