Author Topic: Birkenhead Scattered Homes  (Read 1263 times)

Offline hazelnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birkenhead Scattered Homes
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 14:57 GMT (UK) »
help please - does anyone have any info regarding Birkenhead Scattered Homes, or any web sites that could provide me with details.  I'd be grateful for some help.

Hazelnut

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birkenhead Scattered Homes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hazelnut, I cannot believe this.  I have just spent the day at the Wirral Archives trying to trace what happened to my mother who was sent to a Scattered Home in 1919.
I picked her up on the Birkenhead Union Workhouse Creed Records held at the Archives, having been admitted and discharged with one of her brothers and one of her sisters on the same day to 'Scattered Home'.  The only record that the Archives have concerning the Scattered Homes are a letter book of the Superintendant.  This gave me some information on the addresses of homes pre 1916. I actually needed 1919 and the only thing I can now think of is to search the school admission records for the whole of Birkenhead and District from when she was of school age.  These records are held at the Wirral Archives.  I would very much appreciate any information that you obtain.  The Wirral Archive register is on the Internet.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness