Author Topic: Huddersfield Help Needed  (Read 1188 times)

Offline fanny bloggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Huddersfield Help Needed
« on: Sunday 03 October 04 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone
My name is Heather and I live in Cape Town South Africa.
My great great grandfather  Richard Woodland was reputed to have been born in or around Huddersfield circa 1820. He arrived in South Africa around 1852 after being shipwrecked on his way back to  England  from India off the coast of South Africa.

I was in Huddersfield in May and the day I got their was a public holiday so the church office  (big church in the centre of town) was closed so no one could help.

Can anyone please tell me if and what records are available electronically for this period so I can persue the ellusive ancestors.
Reciprocal look ups in South Africa can be done in exchange for any help
kind thanks
Heather

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Huddersfield Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 04 17:38 BST (UK) »

There is a site www.familyhistoryonline.net which has a name index to the 1841 & 1851 Huddersfield area census. No Woodland family show up on it. The only Woodland in the area would seem to be :

Job WOODLAND found in Halifax St John Marriages (WRY) year 1759 1 entry £0.07
Elizabeth WOODLAND found in National Burial Index (Huddersfield and D FHS) (WRY) year 1843 1 entry £0.05

The Huddersfield family history society are www.hdfhs.org(.uk?). They may have some more records available from their site.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.