Author Topic: Acerage  (Read 1740 times)

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Acerage
« on: Thursday 09 March 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all

Was just wondering whether 107 acres is alot for a farmer's land in the early 1800's?
It says on the marriage certifiacte of another of my ancestors "Farmer of 107 acres"
Would this make him a well off richer farmer or a poorer farmer?

Anything at all would be grately appreciated, I tried to convert into meter squared but it still made no sense to my delicate brain  ;D

Thanks!

Nadia
WALTON line from Yorkshire is my main interest.
WOOD, TYERMAN, WALKER, HAWE.
Any information on Fryston Colliery and that particular area would also be gratefully received!
William SYKES is also a great interest of mine because i cant seem to find him! Born c.1840 "Iron Chapel" Bradford.
Thanks!!!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Acerage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
100 acres of good farm land would usually be farmed by just the family and would be capable of supporting them.  They would probably hire help around harvest time.

It was a small farm by any standards
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nadia,

this might help further,

Topic: Is This A Land Measurement?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,122503.0.html

especially this Reply
A rough idea to the size of an acre.
Manchester United's pitch is 76 yards by 116 yards  or 79,344 square feet, which is just over 1 and three quarter acres.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nadia

Some of my crofter ancestors tried to grow enough to live on from 2 acres.  Between 2 & 10 acres was often not enough to support a family especially on land which was poor to start with.
The Highland clearances were not just about replacing people with sheep. The second/third/fourth son had to seek his fortune elsewhere.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all

Was just wondering whether 107 acres is alot for a farmer's land in the early 1800's?
It says on the marriage certifiacte of another of my ancestors "Farmer of 107 acres"
Would this make him a well off richer farmer or a poorer farmer?

Anything at all would be grately appreciated, I tried to convert into meter squared but it still made no sense to my delicate brain  ;D

Thanks!

Nadia

He may have been a tenant farmer therefore his wealth (if any) would have relied on how well he was as a farmer and if the land owner paid a decent wage or not. Some farmers were also paid a yearly fee for being road/highway surveyors by the local councils whilst others took on the role of carters to earn  more money. 

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I was guilty of starting the thread posted above and a very interesting topic it turned out to be. I thought though that if the census said "farmer of ?? acres, then he actually owned the land, or at least thats what I have been told is the likely scenario on previous threads.
  Do you think thats not the case Old Rowley?
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I have in my extended ancestory a good dozen people who were described as farmers of between 100 and 300 acres.  They were all tenants and none of them owned the land.

There were a small number who did own up to about 20 acres but in most cases these were small holdings which they ran in addition to doing other work, mainly carting hay into London for their farmer relatives.

The one exception was a pig farmer who did manage to survive on about 27 acres.

David 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Nadia: An acre is roughly the size of a football pitch. 2 hectares for the metrically inclined. 107 acres was big. A couple of my ancestors lived well on half that.

Old rowley: most of my ancestors are good old "Ag Lab"s. There are one or two "farmers" (though not as much as Nadia's 107 acres!  ;)), and it seems their land passes through the family, so I assume they own land (though never to me...)

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 06 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thats very interesting David. I am guessing then that my lot did not own the land they farmed. I wondered how they managed it! I know my great grandfather bought his farm because the sale is  in the Beds Archives, but as for the rest, I guess they probably didnt own it.
      THANKS   Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk