Author Topic: Searching for a hit and run  (Read 1085 times)

Offline bogstandard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for a hit and run
« on: Friday 10 March 06 07:37 GMT (UK) »
My father (now deceased) has listed on his birth certificate (birth 1913) his mother - Lilley(Lily) Hardern (then 39 years old) and his father Percival John Moore (Merchant Seaman), this is all we have on him. Was he a one night stand and gave the wrong name?
This chappie then seemed to do a runner, I can find no trace of him, but his surname carried on through my father and myself.
Was my grandmother "A Thoroughly Modern Lilley". She carried on until the 50's.
How can I catch up with this man?

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a hit and run
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
The only Percival John Moore birth i could find was in 1890 3rd quarter, Brighton, Sussex

or

John Percival Moore 1872 2nd quarter Derbyshire, Nottighamshire, West Riding of Yorkshire

Libby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline bogstandard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a hit and run
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Libby,
Many thanks for the lookup, I have these two already under my belt.
I have now a bit more info about 'Percy'. He is logged as the father of all three children dating from 1907 to 1913.
The problem is his name, it would be shortened by the family to Percy. I have him being born c1885, there is a match in Manchester and his father was commissionaire of ports (for the maritime connection) but has Percy at 16 working in the linen trade. I think I will have to wait for the 1911 census and hope he was shore based when it was taken.There is another in Liverpool at the same time with a father as a maritime engineer and an American mother.
I contemplated looking at the Kew merchant marine records but supposedly only about 10% were kept there, the others having been sent to Canada.
Again many thanks for your trouble.