Author Topic: Hulver (nr Beccles)  (Read 5852 times)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hulver (nr Beccles)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

Have been back to SRO today and asked a member of staff there about this entry.  She confirmed that Jemima was illegitimate, and her mother Mary most probably a widow.

I looked again at Henstead PRs but could not see a potential marriage or death.

I found this at nearby Beccles (about 3-4 miles? away)

Jonathan Smith m. Mary Butcher
4th May 1800 at Beccles
Both of this parish
Witnesses: John Butcher and Ezra Bobbett

However, could find no baptisms at Beccles of children of Jonathan and Mary (but some for Jonathan and Susan Smith (late Butcher)).

Not much to go on I know, and not even sure if this marriage is correct, but might be something to work on?  Sorry but could not see a death at Beccles for a Jonathan Smith either  ??? so all in all, I'm not sure if I've been much help !!!

Regards
Anne

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much  ;D, you have been so kind to ask at the SRO it is somewhere I am not easily able to visit so thank you once again.  You have been very helpful if it is the correct marriage how is that for a coincidence-we called our son Jonathan and our surname is Smith (directly through from Jemima)
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 12:26 BST (UK) »
You may have to read all previous messages in this thread (if you haven't already) to understand what I'm talking about here  ;D

I sent for Jemima's marraige cert. to see if that had anymore information and low and behold father's name-Jonathan Smith :o  :o  occupation turner (i think, the handwriting is a bit fancy but looking at how other letters are formed in other words on the cert I'm fairly sure it says turner).

So, does that imply he was alive because under occupation it didn't say deceased?  or did Jemima just put her mothers husband's name to avoid the embarrassment of having unknown written on her marriage cert. (the grooms father was a witness but Jonathan wasn't)

Any thoughts/comments would be gratefully received.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 06 20:59 BST (UK) »
I hope to visit the SRO (AT LAST) in the next couple of weeks as my husband has 2 weeks off work and my in-laws have just moved 10 mins from us so we can drop our son off with them and drive down to Ipswich or Bury st Edmunds and hopefully find some answers-would they hold information like bastardy orders (Jemima had an illigitimate daughter and I was wondering about her father).