Author Topic: Stebbing Mill, Mill Lane  (Read 24432 times)

Offline oldjakey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stebbing Mill, Mill Lane
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 June 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
I know the bungalows at Bran End but did not realise your auntie Ett moved there from Mill Cottage.
You are right in thinking I have an older sister, Susan. My name is Andy and live about six miles up the road from wethersfield in Stambourne.
I agree with you that Stebbing has changed a lot, even I can remember four shops in the high street, one at Bran End and another at Collops Road as well as Four pubs!

Offline Arty Crafty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 June 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Percy's house is still standing in Mill Lane. It used to have a white picket fence and was named Mountview (I think), double fronted 1930's style. My uncle Harold used to live in the little bungalow at the bottom of the lane.

Offline nicknmair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 June 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

When did Harold live in the bungalow? My Auntie Ett lived there from my earliest recollection until around 1960 - did he move in after that or before she lived there?  Was he a Harold Hynds?

Offline Arty Crafty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 18 June 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Yes Harold Hynds lived there in 1950's, I can' be sure when he moved his family to Bran End Mill.

Offline Chelmermead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 01 December 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello my first visit to this site.   I was visiting my mother and grandmother in Chelmsford Essex UK yeserday and my 105 year old grandmother was talking about her time in Stebbing Mill. Her mother was a Hynds and she spent many summers working at the mill with her mother making butter etc and selling it at the door. She was remembering about the bucket and chuck it toilet they had in the garden and how they had to grow rubarbh around it then eat the stuff in pies. My mother also used to spend her summer holidays there sleeping in a bed with her sister, and remembering how scary it was in the creaky old mill. my mother and her cousins are going back there in the spring. My mother happened to mention to her mum that her cousins thought the mill might be haunted. My grandmother imediatly said yes it is but never told you as did not want to scare you. Aparntly it is an old lady who looks fro one of the mill windows. How ever my grandmother remebers her mother saying that one evening whilst they all sat in the kitchen a jar of cooling cooking fat flew off the window sill and smashed on the other side of the kitchen. Nan says she had happy times at the mill but lots of marriages breaking up with wifes going off with brotherinlaws and the like. Edward Hynds her grandfather ws also a bell ringer at the church and there are records of this. My mother has photo of Edward and Sarah Hynds and other family members at the mill on her living room wall.

Offline Arty Crafty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 06 December 12 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chelm'

I was born in Mill Lane, my grandfather Percy Hynds used to work in the mill. Your grandmother reaching 105 years is amazing. I am currently researching my family tree, who was your grandmother's mother? I believe Edward and Sarah Hynds were parents of Percy. I guess we must be related somehow, very best regards.

Offline Chelmermead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 06 December 12 16:48 GMT (UK) »
My grand mothers mother was Florence Emily Hyndes who married a Scutter. This made my grandmother Florence Lillian Scutter who married my grandfather Percy Rainbird.  We must been some sort of cousin. My grandmother will probably know you.  You can email if you wish  *  with your details and I will ask my nan. She and mum live in chelmsford
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Catsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 01 March 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chelmermead

This is the first time of sending a message, though I've read plenty.  I was very interested to read about your 105 year old grandmother - how wonderful to have someone of that age to talk to!   And what interesting stories she has to tell.  I'm intrigued about the photos on her wall and wonder if it would it be possible to copy them for me please.  I'd willingly pay any costs. 

My grandfather was Oliver Hynds born in Stebbing in 1878, the youngest of eight children born to John and Sarah Hynds nee Levitt.   Tragically they both died before they were 50 and only two of their children lived. 

Grandad used to say that he was brought up by his uncle who was a miller.  I think this must have been the Edward Hynds you mentioned.  I wonder if your grandmother may remember anything about this? 

It must have been about 1990 when I visited Stebbing and went to the Town Mill where I met Len Hynds and his wife and daughter, and he gave me a couple of sacks and tickets with his name on.  I still have them.

Offline markbam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 29 June 13 09:48 BST (UK) »

Hello Bensop, welcome to Rootschat.

I have two John Bambridges in my tree of an age at which they might have owned the Barracks Mill.  One born in 1874 and the other in 1747.  Any chance you could help me identify which of these it might be?

My 4x g.grandfather was a Daniel Bambridge (born 1782) and he is the one described as a miller on the baptismal record of his daughter, Eliza, in 1813.  He was brother to the John born in 1774 and nephew to the other one.  Perhaps he worked at the Barracks Mill and not at the Town Mill at all.  I assumed that was where he worked as he was living down Mill Lane in 1841.

I also have several Rolphes in my tree in the 1700s but no Robert that I've found so far.

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of old Stebbing.

Hi,my first post on here, John Bambridge 1774 is my 4x g grandfather, I dont know if you are still looking for this info Glenpenny but John Bambridge was an apprentice miller in Stebbing with Thomas Butcher (brother in law ?) in 1787. I think this must be this john bambridge as he would be 13 also there is a Newman Bambridge (his brother) as Thomas Butcher's apprentice in 1797