Author Topic: A mystery Chapel!  (Read 2760 times)

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: A mystery Chapel!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I think this may well be him thankyou!
where did you get this information from, is it easily accessable?

Those reference numbers, are they the census ones? sorry about this I'm a bit new to this whole census thing :) !
WALTON line from Yorkshire is my main interest.
WOOD, TYERMAN, WALKER, HAWE.
Any information on Fryston Colliery and that particular area would also be gratefully received!
William SYKES is also a great interest of mine because i cant seem to find him! Born c.1840 "Iron Chapel" Bradford.
Thanks!!!

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the late reply!

On his census it says Iron Chapel. Sorry I don't have any more info, I've never seen the census records it was a long distant new found relation of mine that has given me this info!

Sorry I need to correct myself! Have just spoken to my father who has the original record, and on the email he received it said "Ron Chapel" which was presumed to be Iron Chapel. Tho I think Koromo may have found my guy!
Any information on Fryston Colliery and that particular area would also be gratefully received!
William SYKES is also a great interest of mine because i cant seem to find him! Born c.1840 "Iron Chapel" Bradford.
Thanks!!!

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the late reply!

On his census it says Iron Chapel. Sorry I don't have any more info, I've never seen the census records it was a long distant new found relation of mine that has given me this info!

!

Sorry I need to correct myself! Have just spoken to my father who has the original record, and on the email he received it said "Ron Chapel" which was presumed to be Iron Chapel. Tho I think Koromo may have found my guy
Thanks!!!

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You can see the transcription of the 1881 census yourself at www.ancestry.co.uk. Select the link to the 1881 Census, and enter William's name. At the bottom of the panel there are boxes for Piece, folio and page# - that's where you could enter the reference number I gave you. (RG11/4573/120/65)

To properly view the other census you need to have a paid subscription to Ancestry.

Cheers
K.
:)

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much, I have been looking for this guy for ages!
Thanks!!!

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »

I have no idea what or where Bon Chapel is. I tried Googling for it, but nothing came up, nor does it exist on the Gazetteer of British Place Names.

This is what the birthplace looks like on the 1871 census image:

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline nadiawalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 14:02 GMT (UK) »
That's what I think is strange, its almost like the place didnt really exist. This man has been very very hard to track down, he has left no trail to find him by, just lots of children to his housekeeper and a very complicated story!
Thanks!!!

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Just tried the 1851 census just using the place born Yorkshire Chapel and it would appear that there are a number of placels in Yorkshire with Chapel as part of the place name. The main one being Chapel Allerton.

However I did notice when scrolling through a number of pages there were listings of  some people born in Chapel Yorkshire. So this begs the question did William Sykes say he was born in Chapel Yorkshire and the enumerator has written down Bon Chapel missing out the vital 'r'.

There is only one entry when I tried the 1871 census with place born Yorkshire Bon Chapel.

Perhaps the best thing to do is look for other member of the household in 1871 and trace the other census years this way.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe