Author Topic: York Barracks 1851 (completed)  (Read 870 times)

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
York Barracks 1851 (completed)
« on: Friday 10 March 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anybody tell me which regiments were based in the York Barrcks in the year 1851.
Thank you
Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: York Barracks 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric

I used to live in York near to the barracks.  There were two barracks in York - Imphal and Cavalry.  I think you will mean Cavalry as that was the older of the two.

If you try the web site www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=36392 and scroll down you will find a potted history of the barracks with some of the units that were stationed there. 

Hope the site is of some use.

Zephyr
 :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: York Barracks 1851
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zephyr
Thanks for the information. Will have a look later today.
Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />