Author Topic: All Chaplin's in Berkshire  (Read 16814 times)

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: All Chaplin's in Berkshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 April 09 09:39 BST (UK) »

Hi to both Samantha and Gary.
Edward Chaplin was christened 8 March 1767 and was from Finchampstead, not too far from Easthampstead, Esther/Hester Cock was christened I believe in 1771, I don't have my records to hand at the mo.  These details came from the IGI and census records. I have noted (as there were so many Chaplins, often with the same name )that this is the ONLY Edward Chaplin listed in Berkshire for this era with that name and his son Henry was also the only one for the area.  Edward was the g,g,g,g,grandfather of my husband. Hope this helps and confirms your information,

Regards, Carol
Hi Samantha

I am related to the Chaplins through my mother's mother's mother!  I have a question relating to your reply above. 

You write that:  "William Chaplin 1801 father was Edward Chaplin 1770 and his mother was Esther/ Hester Cock B1764 ".  I have the following dates for Edward Chaplin (1763) and Esther/Hester Cock (1771).  My information comes from Dale Headington and I'm not sure where he found it!  I was wondering where your info comes from and if it's more reliable than his!

Gary

Offline Samantha roff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 April 09 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gary and Carol for all you help and information you have given me. It has been really usefull! I have been concentrating on my relatives who fought in WW1 and it is all very interesting but time consuming!! By the way Gary i have found a tree on ancestry which might be of some help to you. You may have already seen it but it is about Mary Chaplin's husband's John vass line and a Goddard connection. The tree is under the name of Josephine Emmett.
Also is there a link to the Goddard line with the Jewish religion? it is just some of the names that appear on it are Jewish.
Would anyone be able to help me with another query i Have regarding William Chaplin's (1801) son Thomas Chaplin (1839) . Can anybody tell me why he was listed as a Chelsea pensioner in the 1861 census at the age of 22 years? All i know is that he was a out pensioner but the royal hospital of Chelsea wouldn't tell me anymore. Any help would be brilliant!!!
Many thanks
Samantha Roff 
Chaplin- Berkshire
Rawlings- Guildford
Harding- Guildford
Eagleton- Guildford

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 May 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello to all Chaplin researchers on this list, which I just discovered today thanks to someone online alerting me to it.

It's only recently that I've found that I have Chaplin ancestors, and very recently that I've learned of the connection beyond Wales to Berkshire. So you can imagine I'm very excited to find lots of useful information here to add pieces to my puzzle.

I haven't yet verified much of my own info in terms of BDM checks etc. - still trying to get an outline of my pedigree to start some serious research when time permits. But here's the line I'm interested in (so you can have fun and work out how we're related to each other...)

My great grandmother: Mary Chaplin b 1860 to
John Chaplin (1826-1882) and Elizabeth Gatland (1825-1869), John son of
William Chaplin (1801-1888) and Sarah Parker (1803-1882), William son of
Edward Chaplin (1767 - ????) and Esther/Hester Cock (1771 - ????).

Looking forward to sharing in future discoveries - not only dates and names but pictures, stories etc. would be fantastic!

Giuliana in Australia

Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline mcconnell922

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 June 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thought this might be helpful to some of you John Chaplin 1826 moved to wales in 1863 and was a gamekeeper for Sir John Walsh of Berks on his estate called Busmore in Radnor
visit this site for more info
http://www.powys.gov.uk/uploads/media/Gamekeepers__Rad__en.pdf
Clare

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 June 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Clare. A good lead.
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chaplins in Berkshire - Edward and Esther/Hester
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 01:28 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has actually seen the marriage record for Edward Chaplin and Esther/Hester Cock so we can try to solve the riddle of names and dates of birth. Several on this board have indicated that the date of marriage was 17 Jan 1796 in Easthampstead, so I'm hoping someone can check the record and inform us!

Edward's year of birth has been given in various posts as 1770 and Esther's from 1764 to 1771. But I have found on Family Search a christening of an Edward Chaplin in Finchampstead on 8 Mar 1767, and also a birth of an Esther Cox in Easthampstead in 1776. (The other Cock possibilities seem to have been in Wokingham or elsewhere, I think.) I'd like to know whether I can rule these in or out and whether I'm missing anything obvious (which is quite possible...)

Thanks, and I hope everyone's research is going well.

Giuliana

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Parker m William Chaplin 1822
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone with an interest in John Chaplin b 1826 to William Chaplin and Sarah Parker has traced Sarah's ancestry.

I have John Parker m Mary Simmons/Simmonds on 17 Feb 1789 in Easthampstead but that's the extent of that branch so far.
Giuliana

Offline Samantha roff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 August 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Giuliana,
Here is the website I used to find the certificate information between Edward Chaplin and Hester Cock. Sorry it has taken so long, but it has been years since I last logged on. There are other family members on there too so have a browse.   
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aedward~%20%2Bsurname%3Achaplin~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22England%2CBerkshire%22
If it didnt work then go on to the familysearch website and just type in Edward Chaplin, England, Berkshire and it should bring it up.
Good luck with your search,
Samantha
Chaplin- Berkshire
Rawlings- Guildford
Harding- Guildford
Eagleton- Guildford

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 August 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will check it out. I appreciate the link.  G