Author Topic: The 2011 Census: is it necessary?  (Read 2848 times)

Paul E

Re: The Ideal Census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
That's fascinating, Bob.  Makes you really think about the distinction (if there is one) between genealogy and family history and with genetic histories.  Could get a bit scary.

Paul

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
One of the countries Paul is probably thinking of with regard to the large scale genealogy databases to keep track of its citizens pedigrees is Iceland. Actually, I find it difficult to imagine any other country being able to do so. Iceland is unique in that the 'Book of Icelanders' records more half of all Icelanders who have ever lived, and goes back to the 9th century. DNA studies on the maternal and paternal lines have shown it to be around 98% accurate. It's always been in the public domain, so entering it into a database doesn't make much difference.

The aim of tracking pedigrees is not, thankfully, political, in Iceland. Instead, it's aimed at researching hereditary diseases, and half of the adult population have volunteered to give a blood sample. Also their medical records are linked to the database. While it may sound a bit dodgy, they assure participants that the data "is anonymized, identifiable only by an encrypted ID generated by the Icelandic government's Data Protection Authority. This third-party encryption system is the only one of its kind, and enables the company's scientists to cross-reference various data sets about large groups of people without ever knowing who they are."
See:
http://decode.com/main/view.jsp?branch=43019

By the way, although factory-produced CD-ROMs probably will last 30 years or more - certainly my earliest music CDs from 1985 are still ok - the figure of 7 years applies to home burned CDs - the dye inside the disk which changes colour when hit by the laser spreads out from the initial point, eventually making it impossible to distinguish 0s from 1s.  It's a chemical process inside the disk - you can store them under controlled humidity, temperature, in a vacuum, etc, but it won't help.  In a recent test of a number of well-known makes of CD-ROM, some failed after only a year in such controlled environment.
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Further to the posting by Janed on the Canadian Census, it is interesting to note that the 2001 UK Census asked more or less the same questions.  Here’s the link if anyone wants to have a look.

~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meg

Perhaps I need to qualify what I said a little. While I found the questions rather detailed it was the follow up phone calls that asked for me by name to be over the top.

I suupose there are no ideals and that my descendants will be delighted that I was so honoured.!!!

Janed

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 23:35 GMT (UK) »
When the latest census is finally revealed I wonder what the descendants of those who declared themselves to be Jedi will think of their ancestors ?  :P

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The 2011 Census: is it necessary?
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 March 06 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the Telegraph, an article on whether having a census is necessary these days.

The census just doesn't add up

Food for thought!
:)

Moderator Comment: topic merged with 'the ideal census'
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The 2011 Census: is it necessary?
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 March 06 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I can't see the last census or any future ones being of any interest to those who wish to make a Family Tree. If I remember correctly they didn't even ask where I was born :( I know it will be on computer somewhere held by the Government, but as we all know that is one of the things we find most interesting when we look for our ancestors at the present time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 March 06 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Seem to remember reading in the papers this week that the census in future will be asking how much we earn?

Question is why? They'll be wanting to know what we eat for breakfast next  ::)

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 March 06 08:44 GMT (UK) »

On every question of the last census here, I answered 'Mind your own business'    I just happened to be in a really bad mood on census night.  Didn't hear from anyone about it!!

Barbara              8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton