Author Topic: Cheadle/Langley marriage lookup please  (Read 1132 times)

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cheadle/Langley marriage lookup please
« on: Saturday 11 March 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please is it possible for anyone to look up the marriage of a James and Susannah Fowell for me. Their first child as far as I know was born in Cheadle in 1826/1827 but their second child is down as being born in Langley on the 1851 census.

Would be very grateful for any help anybody can give me.

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Cheadle/Langley marriage lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 06 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna

There is nothing showing up for them in any of the Cheshire indexes, just checked the 1851 census and it say's Susannah was born Staffordshire, and the first child was born Cheadle Staffordshire, have you tried the Staffs board ? Or maybe the IGI for that area, I am not sure of the geography in Staffs so cant suggest a church, sorry.

not much help  :'(

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 06 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, Thanks very much for all your help, I wasn't really sure if Cheadle was in Cheshire or Staffordshire but it looks like the borders may have changed sometime at the start of the 1700's as there seem to be some listings on the IGI for Cheadle in Cheshire that finish at the start of the 1700's. Looked on the IGI again and there is a marriage of a James Fowell and a Susanna Barnett (which matches a baptism that I found for a Susanna born in the right year in Rushton on the IGI) in St Werburgh's, Derby!, so have put a listing on the Derbyshire board about that. Do you think it's possible that a couple thought to have come from the Cheshire/Staffordshire border could have ended up getting married in Derby please?

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 06 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

They are two differant Cheadles, one is in the Stockport area of Cheshire and the other is the Stoke area of Staffordshire.

From where Susannah was born in Rushton its only a mile or two from the borders of Derbyshire/Cheshire/Staffordshire, I am always amazed at how far and how often people were willing to travel for work in the 1800's.
 So it would be no surprise to find them marrying in Derbyshire.

good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs