2 (3%)
1 - 3
23 (34.8%)
4 - 6
12 (18.2%)
More than 6
29 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: How many Bastards do you have in your tree  (Read 7228 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How many Bastards do you have in your tree
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 March 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I've lost count 

My granny was one of four children born to my great granny...each child had a different father and great granny never married.

My 2x great granny had three children to her husband and seven more children after he died... all to different fathers.

There are quite a few more in my tree  :o

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 March 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a lady (perhaps not the right word) in my family tree that had 4 illigitimate children before she married. The funny part is that her surname was BREEDING. She certainly lived up to her name.

Sunflower
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikehicks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 March 06 11:56 GMT (UK) »
It changes on a daily basis  ;D

Seriously though my gt grandmother was illegitimate. She was born Challinor, raised as a Rushton, married a man christened Jones, and they had a son who was a Cartledge!! Beat that!
Cartledge, Rushton, Winnington (Salford/Manchester)
Hicks(Manchester, Monmouthshire)

Offline Shesmiff

• RootsChat Extra
  • any help gratefully received x
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 March 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I stopped counting, but what amazes me is that there was ever so much stigma attached to being illegitimate, almost every family I've come across had illegitimate offspring in it somewhere.

I could actually slap my gr. grandmother for all the time and expense she has cost us in tracing the tree.

My mother  thought her great aunt was her grandmother and that her father only had a brother and a sister, all illegitimate.

It turns out that gt. grandmother's husband cleared off to the U.S. and forgot to send for her and the 5 kids so she appears to have given them away, moved in with some man (unknown) and had my grandfather at age 42.

Her oldest daughter, who my mum thought was her gran helped raise him, as did his half brother and another half sister.

We traced this branch of the "family" all the way back to Ireland in the late 18th century only to find out that grandfather was Ann's illegitimate son and not her daughter's child which meant, of course, that grandfather was a Gibbons by name only and all the research had been a waste of time.

I suppose Ann had been able to  give him the Gibbons name as it was her legal name but it has been very confusing.

Sheila
Hodkinson, Gibbons, Dean, Bromfield, Bell,Lancaster, Matthews, Nadin/Naden, Cowdock, Bay, Ruffet/Rufet/Ruffit, Brannock/Brannick

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 March 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Rob,

Looks like your poll results are showing a bimodal distribution.  I think this tells us that our ancestors fell into two categories:

1.  Made the odd mistake
2. Didn't give a damn

Cheers,

Al ;D
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 March 06 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Good comment, Al!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 March 06 03:41 GMT (UK) »

bimodal distribution

'cuse me Mr C !  ....... but does that phrase come from your French research then  :P
My family are as pure as the driven snow .... as my Immaculate Conception great Grandmother shows ......  ::) ::) ::) ::)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 March 06 08:14 GMT (UK) »

The Rev John Monkhouse made a note in the parish register of Bramshott, Hants:

"Of the 72 marriages in the last 10 years, ending 1820, not less than 69 females have been unchaste before marriage"
extract from Comyn's New Forest

So, it's looks as if you only got married if you had to in Bramshott. ;D
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 March 06 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite surprised actually, I've only got one so far and that was 1900, so it looks like nearly all my girls were good ones!

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk