Author Topic: Darry death in Duns  (Read 6224 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Darry death in Duns
« on: Sunday 12 March 06 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to find a date of death for William Darry/Derry and Helen/Nelly Darry/Derry.  They would have died in Duns.
I know this is probably an impossible request but worth a try.  I havent been able to find any trace on Scotlands people after 1855.
They were born c1780, so I would probably been looking between 1815 - 1840.  Can anyone help or am I asking the impossible?

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Darry death in Duns
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 06 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Don't know about 'impossible'  but certainly difficult. If you are in luck the parish records pre-1855 may contain some death records. Some do,  some don't !  Some OPR registers also had list of mortcloth hires. That would probably only give the name of the relative arranging the burial though.
Do you know of posible burial grounds where there might be a Monumental inscription ?  We found one recently which confirmed four pre1855 deaths we were looking for.

OPR microfilms are available from the LDS FH centres and hire is apparently very reasonable. Its a slow process but fascinating too.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 06 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell
Many thanks for your reply.  I have only recently 'discovered' this part of the family tree and at present only know that the family come from Duns and have no idea of any possibilities for burial grounds.
It may be an idea to contact my local LDS centre and see whether they can get hold of the microfilms for me.  I certainly don't mind the slow process.  Although it is always very satisfying to find what you are searching for, I never find it disappointing when I don't.  I really enjoy reading through old parish records!!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me
KPM
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at the pre 1855 M.I.'s for Berwickshire, the Eastern Parishes but there are only a few Darrie/Darrys listed - none in the Duns Parish churchyard or in any of the others with the names you are looking for - and no Derrys.
However this is a good publication if you find more families from the area. I have solved a few puzzles since I bought it.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi KPM,correct me if i am wrong but i think i have spoken to you before,i think your William and my Thomas were brothers,and was your Nellie/Helen a Cockburn.I have been looking for the death and burial place for my Thomas and have found nothing either.I have discoverd that Thomas remarried an Agnes Bell after his first wife Janet Kirkcaldy died,i can find no trace of their burial place or details of their deaths.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
Yes, we have been in touch before and apologies for the delay in replying.
I began to question how accurate my tree was because it would appear that Helen's surname was spelt Darry and Derry and her marriage certificate and death certificate gave different father's names, although I believe this was an error. 
I was hoping the death record for William and Helen/Nelly may give me a few clues.
I think you could be correct about William and Thomas being brothers.  Do you know who Thomas' father was?
KPM
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi KPM,i havent as yet got much further with my Darries either.I have been in contact with a man from Newzealand just a few days ago,he let me see his tree on Genes Reunited,he has the same Darries as myself.My Thomas was born c1788 i had no parents for Thomas just his 2 wives Janet Kirkcaldy and Agnes Bell but when i saw his tree he had Thomas parents and siblings but there is no William {your William}he had brothers James and George,so sadly i cant help again.There are other people researching Darries on Genes Reunited i am in contact with most of them,i will have another look around and see what i can find for you.Speak soon.Anne.

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 April 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
Thanks for your reply
I'm still not entirely sure on my Darry's as I keep coming across the surname Derry - Im wondering whether I have gone wrong somewhere along the line.  Must keep hunting
Anne-Marie (KPM)
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 07 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie,its me again after all this time.I was wondering if you ever solved your puzzle for William.Anne.