Author Topic: 1841 Barnard Castle  (Read 1296 times)

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
1841 Barnard Castle
« on: Sunday 12 March 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi does anyone have access to 1841 Barnard Castle.

I would like the following references checked if possible.  The ages of James and Eleanor are inconsistant with the 1851 (and not just by a bit) so I was wondering if one or the other had been transcribed wrongly.

HO107/305/4/folio 9  Eleanor Crampton or Crompton

HO107/305/4/folio31&32 James Crampton

both are in Thorngate

I have simply name, age and occupation.  If there is any further information I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance

Soo  ;)
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Barnard Castle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 06 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soo

Folio 31  Page 7 
James 40 Weaver No (not born in County)
Ann 70 No

Folio 9  Page 12
Ellinor 45 ? Mill Yes (born in County)
Phillis 15 Y

You won't get any more information from the 1841 Census - no other details were recorded.  Ages were supposed to be marked down to the nearest 5, but it's not unusual for those ages to be 10yrs or more out.

If your family were in Crossgate, Durham in 1851 the above Ellinor is correct.  Daughter Phillis married William Wandless in 1843 and their son James is with his Grandparents in 1851.  The rest of the Wandless family is recorded on the same page - let me know if you want the details.

There was another Crampton marriage - James to Eleanor Berry in 1844.

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 06 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

Thanks for that. That is the right ones on the 1851 in Crossgate Durham and I'm sure it is the right people in 1841 too but Eleanor's age is so far out.  In '41 she's 45 but in '51 she's 65.  It seemed too much to me but then you say that it isn't unusual for ages to be out by that much and of course she did marry a much younger man so perhaps she fibbed!  ;)

Thanks agin

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 06 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Soo.  Here are entries for the Catholic Church at Barnard Castle. They must be part of the family that you are looking for.
James CRAMPTON born 21/Nov/1857, bap 7/Mar/1858, mother Mary CRAMPTON. (no father, no maiden name so I would think she was unmarried)
sponsors William PARKIN & Julia KENNEDY.
Elizabeth CROMPTON born 23/Jan/1848, bap 27/Jan/1848, mother Sarah CROMPTON. (no father no maiden name again unmarried?) sponsors Mary CROMPTON & William FOSTER.
Mary Bousefield CROMPTON born 12/JUL/1852, bap 14/JUL/1852. parents Mary CROMPTON & John BOUSEFIELD. sponsors WILLIAM foster & jane PARKIN. Adamand

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 06 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Adamand

Not sure whether we have any Catholic Cramptons but a quick look at what you've sent suggests there may be a connection as we do have Parkins among our Cramptons, though a bit further back.

I'll do a bit of digging

Thanks

Susan
Fisher - Essex