Author Topic: Soldiers in the First World War  (Read 17935 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Soldiers in the First World War
« on: Monday 04 October 04 14:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of the CD containing the names of all the soldiers who served in the First World War who could look someone up for me?

I am looking for my Great Uncle Mark Hilton. Family history is that he died in the First World War aged about 18 (my brother is named after him) but I can't find any reference or birth certificates to him or his brother Luke and it is really getting to me!

He was born in Wolverhampton and I believe he may have served in the Staffordshire Regiment as did his brother William and half brother Matthew Ralph

I have tried the CWGC but there is no mention of him there. The link is  http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx if anyone is interested

If anyone has family who lived in and around Wolverhampton the Express & Star have a virtual cenotaph on their website. The link is http://www.expressandstar.com/es/heritage/cenotaph/

There is also a good site about the war memorials in Wolverhampton on Wolverhampton Remembers and the link is http://www.warmem.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Would be glad of any suggestions on where to try and find them next  :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers in the First World War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 04 17:13 BST (UK) »
have you tried the medal rolls this might give you his army number so you could try for his army records

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 04 17:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a copy of the CD containing the names of all the soldiers who served in the First World War who could look someone up for me?

I am looking for my Great Uncle Mark Hilton. Family history is that he died in the First World War aged about 18 (my brother is named after him) but I can't find any reference or birth certificates to him or his brother Luke and it is really getting to me!

He was born in Wolverhampton and I believe he may have served in the Staffordshire Regiment as did his brother William and half brother Matthew Ralph

I have tried the CWGC but there is no mention of him there. The link is  http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx if anyone is interested

If anyone has family who lived in and around Wolverhampton the Express & Star have a virtual cenotaph on their website. The link is http://www.expressandstar.com/es/heritage/cenotaph/

There is also a good site about the war memorials in Wolverhampton on Wolverhampton Remembers and the link is http://www.warmem.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Would be glad of any suggestions on where to try and find them next  :)

There were no officers with the surname of HILTON.
There were only two M HILTON's listed as regular soldiers, but neither of them were
Matthew.

Reg Tank Corp
Name - Maxwell HILTON
Born - Hull
Enlisted - Middleborough Yorks
Died - 30th Sept 1918
Rank - Private
Killed in Action - France & Flanders
Number - 69830
Notes -  Formerly 11643 Royal Fusiliers

Reg Lancashire Fusiliers, 18th Battalion
Name - Matthew Edward HILTON
Born -Prestwich Lancs
Date - died 22nd Oct 1917
Rank - Private
Died -  Killed in action France & Flanders
Number - 35090
Rank  - Private
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 14:20 BST (UK) »
I really am getting nowhere fast!

Tried the medal rolls - no Mark listed. I am beginning the wonder if it is his middle name not his first. Have found a Henry M Hilton on the rolls list service number DM2/11824 and I do know that my G Grandparents had a son named Henry who died before he was 2 so I wonder if Mark was named Henry Mark?

Is there any chance someone could look it up for me?

I am also interested in a Luke Hilton service number 53829 because this might be his brother - there again I might be shooting at pie in the sky?!

I did find Matthew Ralph their half brother service number 3618

Why can none of this be simple or better still why can't the BMD have all their records in full with access from the internet so we can just look someone up

Yeah yeah I know - pigs might fly and then the price of bacon would go up!

As the old saying goes - you can choose your friends but not your family. Would be happy if I could just find some of mine ............... x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Doug Lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 20:16 BST (UK) »
Willow4874 
The Cd you refered to is only for men who died during the first world war. I have checked your second request,there is no reference to an Henry Mark. I presume Luke survived so there is no way in checking him out via the CD.

In regards to sites containing reference to Rolls of Honour and War Memorials for Wolverhampton see my site as below.

Regards Doug
Researching war memorials and rolls of wolverhampton http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/index.html

Offline Doug Lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 20:31 BST (UK) »
Willow4874

Medal card of Hilton, Luke
Royal Garrison Artillery 53829 Gunner
Catalogue reference WO 372/9 

I have looked through the men recorded on my site but have not found Mark.

Regards Doug
Researching war memorials and rolls of wolverhampton http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/index.html

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thanx guys guess I will just have to go back to the drawing board and see what else I can find out

BTW - good site Doug!

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 17:35 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was in the first world war and the boer war,John Benjamin selby I would like to have the medal roll site so i may check on him. thanks
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 20:05 BST (UK) »
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk