Author Topic: South Ockenden, Orsett  (Read 2040 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: South Ockenden, Orsett
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
ros I will pm you a contact for possible local photograghs

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline AJHS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros

You might want to look at old-maps.co.uk - they have a 1872 map of the area.

Also just been looking at an A-Z from 1989 and there used to be a large hospital in S. Ockendon (it's now a housing estate). I wonder if your man was working there?

Rgds

Andy
The Great War careers of members of my family.

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Yes, I looked at old-maps, but without much success. I guess there is a fair chance RBJ worked at the hospital ; sometimes he described himself a s general practitioner and sometimes as a surgeon.

Old Rowley, your man was very helpful but says he is a bit far removed from the area. He has given me some other places to try.

Many thanks to you both for your help.

Ros

PS I was going to just stop briefly in the area, but now I am becoming intrigued!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 06:52 BST (UK) »
To all those who were so helpful when I raised this topic back in March, I'm writing to report  huge success!!

We visited South Ockendon in June, had no difficulty finding the church - and there was my husband's gg-grandfather's grave very near to the front door! He was described as 'surgeon of this place'. As an added bonus it included inscriptions not only to his wife and one of his daughters, but also to his old father, who died in 1859 aged 74. Photo attached!

We went to the pub across the green to celebrate (and look at all their old photos) and altogether had a very satisfactory visit.

Going south, we simply couldn't avoid the M25 (as you all had told me). We had no sooner got over the bridge than we shot off in quite the wrong direction (not really planning to go to Canterbury that day), which gave me the opportunity to devise another route south along little back roads.  The countryside was so beautiful it would have been a crime not to meander slowly through it all.

Thanks again for all your help,

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 08:32 BST (UK) »
Ros,
So pleased that your journey to South Ockendon proved  to be successful and that you found what you were looking for and more. Its also good to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and that you took in the countryside whilst getting (slightly) lost I for one much preferr the local routes rather than travel along the dreaded M25.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop