Author Topic: Cunard Liner Olympic  (Read 1346 times)

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cunard Liner Olympic
« on: Monday 04 October 04 16:02 BST (UK) »
I have found what may be a rellie working on the catering staff of the "Olympic" which sailed from Southampton to NY in September 1924. Is there anywhere to get info on staff as I want to check if he worked on any of the other liners.   ::) ::)
Corns/Lenton/Downing in Rugeley Staffs
Winspear/Leadley/Hodgson/McClacklin in Whitby N.Yorks
Corns/Binyon/Crofton/Mason/Smith/Farrol in Sunderland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cunard Liner Olympic
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 04 16:17 BST (UK) »

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 04 22:40 BST (UK) »
If you can find the Crew List and Agreement he signed it will tell you which ship he was on before, so unless you have info. on his voyages after 1924, you can only work backwards.

A lot of these Agreements are in the Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, in the Maritime History Archive and only very few of them are at Kew.  St. John's are very efficient at research, but you have to pay - try http://www.mun.ca/mha

Also the Mariner's Mailing List website has a list of all records, their dates and whereabouts so you could try this -
 http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKLogs,CrewLists.html.

My grandfather was a Master Baker on liners at the end of the 1890's and I found his details there by tracing backwards amd they were all in Newfoundland.

Good luck!

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Carole A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 05:18 BST (UK) »
My great uncle was first engineer on the Olympic and I used the Ellis Island site - it does, of course, only detail US landings.

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks all,

Honeybun do you know how much time a search takes? I have the ships name as well as date and port of departure. I have looked at the fees and am under strict instructions from hubby to stick to my budget, I have recently paid a wedge of money to a French researcher and all I got back was what we had already told him!!!

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi sadnil

I got my research in April this year, and they were still charging $39.00 an hour - I've just looked up the exchange rate and it's $2.27 to the £ so that is quite good.  Their fees are based on 1 hour to complete a search of 2 years of crew agreements for 1 vessel (or 2 vessels for 1 year).  Photocopies are 50 cents each, air postage (if you want it quickly) approx $5.20.  In practice, I think they give you more than the minimum of research if it is going well and they don't have to do a lot of searching - I unexpectedly got five trips for my hour's research as they all followed on from each other with the same shipping line.  Including the above charges, those five trips cost me in total $49.70.   The Maritime History Archive is set up for this kind of work, they are efficient and professional.  Contact them and explain what you want before you part with any money.  I too have to watch the pennies as you can get carried away ........

Regards

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Honeybun, I will give it a whirl, I don't mind paying for info if it ends up worthwhile