Author Topic: Marriage Banns in both parishes.  (Read 1579 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage Banns in both parishes.
« on: Monday 13 March 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the banns would be in both sets of parish registers when Groom (George Cobb  E. Retford,(b. Sutton Nottinghamshire) and Bride was Eliza ? Worksop. I think I have the correct marriage Mar Qtr 1861 7b.5d. Worksop. I am visiting England to look at the parish records.,Once I am certain that I have the correct people I want to order the Marriage Certificate. Where do I start please.?
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Banns in both parishes.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Banns will be called in both parishes and if they were married in a parish in which neither were living in all three parishes.  If you find the aprish register entry it will tell you no more and possibly less that the civil certificate.

The banns book entry again tells you very little beyond who is getting married and where.  The banns book will probably be with the parish register in the appropriate record office.  You should however be aware that this may be the record office associated with the diocese to which the parish belonged in 1861 rather than the obvious one.  You do need to check which record office holds which records before you visit.

Some parishes, called peculiars, belonged to the most unexpected diocese and the records may or may not have moved when this situation was rationalised from 1840 onwards.  This took most of the 19th century.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. I am trying to find out the maiden name of  Eliza and I have managed to get records where all marriages in the same Qtr for the same district are on one page. which would possibly give me the brides maiden name. However, I can't remember how I achieved this miracle in order to repeat the process which is very annoying. It's the age you know. Are you saying that the parish records for this marriage would or would not show the names of both? Sorry to sound so thick but am  still learning my way around the records. Regards, Josephine.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 06 16:39 GMT (UK) »
If you are using FreeBMD click on the numeric part of the reference and it will show you the entries from the page of the original register.  With luck there will only be one Eliza in the up to four marriages for which the names will be in alphabetic order. (ugh!)

By the way don't forget that they may have been married by licence in which case there will be no banns but you might find the allegation in the diocese records. Again it won't tell you anything not on the certificate. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 06 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

Notts FHS marriage index has this marriage as George Cobb and Eliza Rollinson 24/03/1861 at Worksop St Mary (Priory)

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Heather you are a gem. You have saved me days of trailing around and many thanks. One question. Where do I find Notts Family History Society in Worksop and will their records cover Retford? Once again very many thanks, Josephine.

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine.

the place you want to visit for most of Nottinghamshire parish records is the Nottingham Archives

Website here ..

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives.htm

Nice, friendly people who actually answer email enquiries!

Many records have been copied onto microfiche and there is no problem popping in and viewing them. If you need to do more than this, you'll have to take ID and register for a reader's ticket. Staff are on hand to guide you.

I use this site to find out where the parish records are ..

http://www.johnsgenealogy.com/ntt_prs.asp

For example if you select Retford  and click the baptisms button, then it tells you that Notts Archives (NAO) hold East Retford baptisms 1573-1900, Retford St Saviour 1838-1900 and West Retford 1772-1971

Hope this helps! Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk