Author Topic: scanning  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Euro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: scanning
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Here is a nice site that has probably all the info you would need to explain scanning and file compression types with demo pictures showing the effect of using too much compression when saving pictures as .jpeg.

This site has a huge amount of info.
http://www.scantips.com/

If anyone is planning on making a tutoral for RootChat then I believe that this site would be very helpful. :)

Colin.

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
If you could post the larger image so that it appeared as a link in the message rather than opening automatically that would be good.  Then only those who wanted to open the image would do so.  I don't think we have that option, so as Denn suggested we could have a different thread where people could upload larger images, and then anyone who wanted to attempt a restoration could take the image from there.  If this could be an option on the image attach, where the image is uploaded to a folder and a link placed in the message it would be good.

I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 13:54 GMT (UK) »
It's a great link Euro ... I remember checking it our at the beginning of the year in fact I learned most of what I know about scanning  from this link ... If everyone who wants a restore done checked this out first .. there would be few problems .. Maybe the link could be to added to our list of useful links
Poll !
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
http://www.scantips.com/ - nice site - thanks for the link - I'm going to use some advice from there myself.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Euro's link is my fav' scan reference but for someone who just wants to scan the occasional pic', I think it may be too long winded!

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Can't we just link to the bits that apply !!  ;) ;) :-\ ::)
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
My scanner scans my photo's through to my document folder and then I am able to send my photo through to RC
sometimes they do go through too big I have just posted a photo to repair and it looks fine to me is it too big

My scanner and printer are all in one Epson CX3600

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 23:16 GMT (UK) »

Not tooooo bad Elizabeth - except scanned at only 300dpi - more information can be got at if 600!  ;D

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Come on Keith, it's not bad at all. I enlarged it to 200% and you can't see the pixels!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***