Author Topic: 1881 census lookup please??  (Read 896 times)

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1881 census lookup please??
« on: Tuesday 14 March 06 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could a kind person please have a look for my James Pollock in the 1881 census? He was born in January 1872 in Hutchesontown, Glasgow so he would have been 9 at the time of the census. His parents were William Pollock (b.1843) and Elizabeth Pollock (b.1842). I was hoping somebody might be able to find him before I waste any more credits on scotlandspeople! He could be hiding anywhere in Scotland, though Glasgow seems to be most likely. He also had a sister, Isabella Hill Pollock, she would have been 14 at the time of the census. I think that the family have been split up somehow, which is why I am having such difficulty finding them!

Many thanks in advance,
millerina
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census lookup please??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've had a look in the LDS CD-ROMs and at the IGI on the LDS web site.

The IGI lists seven children born in Scotland to William Pollock and Elizabeth Pollock MS Pollock. I cannot find any of them in the 1881 census.

However there are 25 listings of children of William Pollock and Eliza(beth) Pollock born in Ireland after 1872 (some of them are duplicates, and some are 'submitted' so need to be viewed with caution), so I am also wondering if they moved to Ireland after James' birth? This would explain why you cannot find them in the 1881 census, because Ireland isn't included.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census lookup please??
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look for them  ;D, as you can probably tell, I am having real problems with this side of my family!

It is quite possible that the family moved to Ireland, I have had my suspicions that William and his parents may have been Irish, as I have found no trace of them whatsoever in any Scottish records. That being said, I know that the family were in Scotland before 1872, and I have not been able to find any trace of them in the 1871 census either (or 1861, in fact, I have never found them in a single census!). James Pollock is missing from the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census'.

Thanks for giving me another place to start looking, anyway! Irish records, here I come!  ;D ;D

millerina
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk