Author Topic: My mining ancestors -Normanton area  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My mining ancestors -Normanton area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Pauline ~

I've just seen your posting on the Altofts thread. You say:

Henry was one of the deputies killed on 2nd October 1886 at the Pope and Pearson Colliery (Silkstone Seam) in Altofts, West Yorkshire. My grandfather, Alfred, was one of the son's of Henry
and Sarah, and my late mother, Lily, along with Clarence, George and Mary (all deceased) were
Alfred's children with Hannah Maria Brain whom he married on 25th December 1899 in St Mary Magdalene Church, Church Road, Altofts.

So definitely an in-law   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Bringing this forward in case you missed info about Jeremiah's eldest daughter, Irene.

Just to add some more about the first entry on the list ~ 

1901 Castleford Rd, Normanton
Joseph b.1841, a coal miner.  ???? Not found after this
With him are his daughter and son-in-law:
Winifred b.1870  Died Q 1,  1905, Wakefield RD. Age 35
Jeremiah DEAKIN, a coal miner, b.c. 1869 (Shropshire) . Re-married Q2 1906, Wakefield, to Annie Elizabeth Giles. 1911 37 Greenbank Road,  Altofts  with  Irene, 1904; Florence, 1907.
 Irene  was Winifred’s daughter.- born Q2 (6 April 1903) , 1903, Wakefield RD. Baptised : 6 May 1903. With parents listed as Jeremiah and Winifred Deakin, 14 Station Street, Sandal.   Irene married Q2, 1926, Wakefield to Harry Myers. Had two sons -1927, 1928 – possibly more?  Irene died Q1, 1964, Claro, aged 64.

Additions entered in Teal.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lablover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have all that, and more. Thanks. I have 'Family Historian' on my computer, and my husband
has it on his computer, too. It's brilliant. I shall make sure that the information you have given
concurs with what I have. If, in the future, you wish, or need, to go further back, then help is here
and you just have to ask.
P

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your kind offer.  I also have Family Historian. I've had it for about 9 years or so - when it first came out - and have now got up to the latest version. It's very good.

I think I have most of the Stokes line as far back as possible at the moment but I might come back to you with some younger ones in your area!  I'm presently looking for the descendants of Martha Stokes (Edward and Catherine's eldest daughter) who went to the USA in 1843.

My immediate line went back to Denbighshire/Shropshire from  Willenhall. The ones here are descendants of my 3 x great grandparents  :)

Gadget

Offline ctcw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I also have a connection with the Pope & Pearson mine explosion: William Clegg, one of the rescue teams formed as a consequence of the inquiry into it, was a brother of my maternal grandfather.

And my paternal grandfather's mother was a Stokes, in a line now traced back to Edward (1776-1839).

By the way, I'm now 78, and don't plan to die just yet!