Author Topic: Capt Robert Annesley CRAIG Royal Artillery - Boer War??  (Read 3256 times)

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Capt Robert Annesley CRAIG Royal Artillery - Boer War??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hey Valda! By George, I think she's got it!

Well, well that is very interesting indeed. These are the births according to the IGI, but to Robert SMYTH Craig and Emily Mary Noble:

Edwin Stewart CRAIG, born 2 Jun 1865, Cromac, Co Antrim
Hugh Stanhope CRAIG, born 16 Jun 1867, Belfast
William Newcome CRAIG, born 27 May 1871, Antrim
Maurice Graham CRAIG, born 17 Feb 1875, Antrim

There is certainly room for Robert Annesley with the birth date you have found. I wonder why it says she had 2 sons if there were 5... and which one is right, Smyth or Stewart as the dad's middle name?

Anyway, who cares, looks like you have proved my link for me ;D

Thanks a million

Jo

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

A bit more info about Robert Annesley Craig's army service, taken from the 1895 and 1915 Army lists.

In 1915 he was listed as a Captain of the Royal Garrison Artillery and p.a.c  Assistant Experimental Officer at Woolwich.

His earlier promotions were;

2nd Lieutenant - 15th February 1889

Lieutenant - 15th February 1892

Captain - 14th June 1899.

Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Because the source only knew of 2 - it doesn't preclude others.

The web site I gave earlier uses the middle name Stewart for several of the Craigs listed.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Irish Pedigrees and The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal of Britain

Valda

Are these 2 separate books? Is the Irish Pedigrees the one by John O'Hart, 1892? And the other one The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal Being A Complete Table of All the Descendents Now Living of Edward III, King of England. London, England: T.C. & E. C. Jack, 1905-11?

I have just found some confusing info on the IGI, so I really need to do some checking up.

Robert Annesley Craig    
Birth: 1835 Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Death: 1923      
Parents: Robert Stewart Craig and Emily Mary Noble

These dates are completely different from the ones I know of and the ones you found.

Now, there are 2 possibilities. One, that this is incorrect information as it has been submitted by a member of the LDS church, rather than extracted from registers, and I know that there are errors sometimes. Or two, that there were 2 Robert Annesley Craigs from different generations who I need to sort out (though it would be odd if they had exactly the same parent names...)

Mick

Thanks very much for the Army Lists info - again, a source that I had not considered and very useful to build up a picture of his life.

Many thanks to you both for your interest and time

Jo

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 March 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
1901 census RG13 23 folio 90
4 Hanover Terrace Kensington  London   
Catherine Noble 91  Ireland Head  Widow Living on own means 
Emily Craig 60  Ireland Daughter Widow Living on own means
John Noble 65  Ireland Son Married Living on own means 
Robert Noble 54 Ireland Son  Single Living on own means
Eliza Hatfield 21  Rotherhithe, Surrey,  Servant Housemaid
Agnes Harris 20  Paddington, London,  Servant  Cook

O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigrees; or The Origin and Stem of The Irish Nation. Volumes 1-2

The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal Being A Complete Table of All the Descendents Now Living of Edward III, King of England. London, England: T.C. & E. C. Jack, 1905-11

I wouldn't say there are errors sometimes from members submissions - far to generous. The database is littered with incorrect submissions from members. Some can be quite ludicrous.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda

Thanks for finding - presumably - the mother of Edwin and Robert on the 1901 census, very helpful also to know that she was a widow by that time and that her mother was Catherine. Splendid.

Thanks also for confirmation that the LDS member submitted info is often ludicrous! It woul dbe helpful if that was so in my case

Jo

Offline 11kilo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is some more info on Robert Annesley CRAIG that you might be interested in.

Colonel R. A. Craig CMG CBE LGM, Royal Garrison Artillery and Royal Artillery
Medal entitlement:  The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George, CMG, Order of the British Empire (Commander) CBE, British War Medal (named to him as "Bt. Lt. Col. R. A. Craig"), Order of Saint Anne (2nd Class Neck Badge) (Russia), Le Froy Gold Medal.

Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant RA 15.02.1889
Robert Annesley Craig was born on 7 July 1869 the son of R. S. Craig of Belfast, Ireland.  He was commissioned into the Royal Artillery in February 1889, was promoted to Lieutenant on 15 February 1892 and Captain on 14 June 1899.  He served as Assistant Inspector, Army Ordnance Department from 9 April 1900 to 31 January 1901 and as Experimental Officer, AOD from 1 February 1901 to 14 April 1904. 

In the 1901 Census he is listed as Captain Royal Artillery living in St Marylebone, London.  This census lists his place of birth as “Ireland Swiss”.

In 1904 he married Helen Mary Stewart, daughter of the Very Reverend Graham Craig, of Clonmacnois and was Assistant Experimental Officer, AOD and Assistant Experimental Officer Experimental Staff, from 15 April 1904 to 8 April 1905 and then again from 11 March 1906 to 31 March 1907.  Later he was Assistant Proof and Experimental Officer, Research Department from 1 April 1907 to 31 March 1910 during which time (7 August 1909) he was promoted Major.  He was Proof and Experimental Officer, Research Department from 1 April 1910 to 29 November 1910 and Staff Captain, War Office from 5 May 1913 to 31 March 1914.  He was Superintendent, Research Department from 1 April 1914 to 6 March 1920. 

During the Great War he was promoted Brevet Lieutenant Colonel RA (29 November 1915) and Lieutenant Colonel RA 27 April 1916.  In January 1917 (LG 23 January 1917) he was created CMG for his work in artillery research and MID in the London Gazette of two days later. 

He was further decorated for his work during the war, this time with a CBE (LG 3 June 1919) as Superintendent of Research at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.  After the war he was made Commandant, Ordnance College from 7 March 1920 (London Gazette of 8 April 1920 refers) and granted full Colonelship on 1 January 1921 with the date of rank of 29 November 1919.  He was placed on the Half-Pay list on the same day he was made Colonel (1 January 1921).  After the war he was, from 1920 to 1924, Assistant Director of Artillery at the War Office and Associate Member of the Ordnance Committee.  In 1925 he was Assitant Director of Artillery (A3) and he retired in 1926.

“British Gallantry Awards” has a chapter on MID's and makes mention of 1038 that were awarded during WW1 for services outside the field, making his mention quite scarce.

In his book "White Russian Awards to British and Commonwealth Servicemen During the Allied Russian Intervention in Russia 1918-1920” author Ray Brough (and OMRS member) lists him as having received the Order of St Anne, 2nd Class but gives no London Gazette date.  Strangely Craig is not listed for the award in the London Gazette nor does he appear on the so-called “Confidential List” issued by the War Office in 1921.  He certainly didn’t serve in Russia (he would have been, at least entitled to a Victory Medal) and a fellow medal collector has suggested that he was awarded the Russian decoration for logistical support (based in UK) to White Russian forces.

His award of the Russian award caused me quite a lot of problems but finally my research confirmed that Lieutenant Colonel Robert Annesley Craig CMG CBE, Royal Artillery was gazetted for the Order of St. Anne, 2nd Class in War Office Confidential Letter No. 0137/6178 dated 1 July 1920.  This letter indicated that "His Majesty the King has granted provisional permission to the recipients to accept and wear the decorations conferred on the understanding that such permission may be withdrawn at a future date should circumstances so demand."

The Le Froy Gold Medal was awarded bi-annually to officers and men who have help and assisted the development of artillery or ordnance above and beyond normal duty.  Craig was awarded this honour in 1916 while Superintendent, Research Department, Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.

He was “in the Chair” during a lecture delivered at the Royal Artillery Institution on 8 March 1921 on “Wireless Telephony” by H. F. Trewman ESQ MA.  Craig’s introduction has been recorded.  He refers to this lecture as “…intensely interesting, especially to gunners.  Not only will Wireless Telephony probably form the main means of passing orders etc. in the field in any future campaign, but from a gunners point of view in all probability his communication with Ops and observation planes etc. will also be by Wireless Telephony ”:

It would appear that Craig was not a field officer and indeed never saw action but, never the less, was a key artillery officer during and after the Great War, being brought to notice and decorated on at least five separate occasions.

His medal group was sold on 28 March 2001 by Philip Burman, Burman Medals, Norfolk item 600 from his medal list of that month.

Cheers

Andy

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Andy

Thanks so much for posting this very thorough biog of RAC's professional career. Fascinating stuff. I had not thought about the role of experiment and research in artillery but of course it must have been very important. Interesting that even at the end of his career he was picking up on the importance of new developments and saw the potential of wireless communication.

I notice you say that he never saw field action. Do you have any indication of what the "siege train" involvement may have been in the 1900 letter that started my quest? Also have you come across him being referred to as Annesley rather than Robert? (though that might have been a family name for him, of course).

Your email has also reminded me that I have never updated this thread on a report of the marriage of RAC to Helen Craig, in the King's County Chronicle of 16th June 1904, that was sent to me by the wonderful Offaly County Library in Tullamore. Thanks to Anna again for that suggestion.

It reports the "local fashionable marriage" in some detail with regard to the dresses (!) but doesn't mention any of the guests except the principals. However, there is a huge list of rather fabulous presents and a Mr and Mrs E.S. Craig gave a pearl necklace to the bride, so I like to think that is "my" Edwin Stewart Craig.

You may be interested to know that the bridegroom was given a "pair of large silver bowls on stand" by "Officers of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich".

If anyone would like more details, let me know

Jo

Offline 11kilo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I would be quite interested in getting a copy of the report of their wedding.  In fact anything about RAC would be of interest to me as I own his medal group.

There is no indication that he served in South Africa during the Boer War.  He is certainly not entitled to the Queen's South Africa medal with the Royal Artillery (I have the medal roll).  I also have a photograph of the officers of the Siege Train on their way to South Africa and his is not listed.

He served as Assistant Inspector, Army Ordnance Department from 9 April 1900 to 31 January 1901 and as Experimental Officer, AOD from 1 February 1901 to 14 April 1904.  Both of these appointments were in the UK.  In the 1901 Census he is listed as Captain Royal Artillery living in St Marylebone, London.

No overseas service (campaign or other) is listed during the Boer War in the Army Lists.

Perhaps there was a chance of him going to South Africa but for one reason or another this didn't happen.

Funnily enough, had he been sent to theatre of operations it would have most likely been on the books of the Siege Train as at least two other officers who held the same position as RAC (albeit at different decades) were sent to theatre in this capacity.

I hope this helps, cheers

Andy