Author Topic: the most upsetting mine disaster ever  (Read 1053 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
the most upsetting mine disaster ever
« on: Wednesday 15 March 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
       Having come from a coal mining background, I am no stranger to mining accidents, either having been a part of a grieving community or having empathy with a distant mining community.
       This assosiation with the grim side of coal mining doesn't make tragedy any easier - if anything it is a more personal thing and always brings a lump to my throat.
        For all this, nothing hit me as much as the story I found while researching, I was absolutely horrified to learn of a disaster at silkstone in 1838, the Huskar mine disaster claimed the lives of 26 children bettween the ages of 7 and 17.

Enough said except that to read the following accounts may upset some people - but we must be forever thankfull tht these conditions are not present today - at least in  our society.

Denn

http://www.pitwork.net/daz.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/factsheets/makhist/makhist10_prog8a.shtml
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: the most upsetting mine disaster ever
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I get really upset when I read of all the mining deaths in  China. I'm from a Welsh mining backround, Dad worked in the mines for 45 years. My husband worked in the mines in Wales and Australia. My son's first job after he left school was in the highwall mines in Central Quensland. Dad was one of the rescuers at Aberfan.
 I think it's dreadful that people in this day and age are workng (and losing their lives) in conditions that our forefathers put up with a hundred years ago Things in Viet Nam are not much better.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk