Author Topic: Braecroft, bryecroft?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Braecroft, bryecroft?
« on: Wednesday 15 March 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
When googling for an area in Dumfries that might be close to the name Bryecroft... I found Braecroft...it appears to be a small town or farm.  Could anyone enlighten me about the area and do they think this could be the origins of my James Lockerbie born April 9, 1807 in Bryecroft?  Anyone have an opinion or access to some old directories?  His parents were James Lockerbie and Jean Gelkerst (probably Gilchrest).

What Kirk or parish would Braecroft be within?  Sorry but I live in the US and don't have a grip on the area of Dumfries yet!  Thank you Susan

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Braecroft, bryecroft?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
What parish is this place in?

Is it Dumfries itself?

I'm guessing you have the info from from a parish record?

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

In regards to Byrecroft...no I don't have any parish records although I checked the IGI.  A book written in Ontario called Edwardsburg Family Histories states that James Lockerbie was born at Bryecroft Scotland on April 9, 1807 son of James Lockerbie and Jean Gilcrest.  The James born in 1807 married Mary Ann Pearson.  These are the people I'm following and I'm stumped.  There appears to be possibly 2 farms above Dumfries with different spellings on this name. One is closer to Holywood Kirk and the other closer to Kirkton and Nether holm, all a little north of town of Dumfries and probalby out of Dumfries Parish.
One of James and MaryAnne Pearson Lockerbies kids was born in Lochmaben another in Torthorwald.  That's all I know.  Thanks Susan

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
How about the village of Brydekirk which is 2.5 miles north of the market town of Annan ?
I do not know the area and can't find a Braecroft, Bryecroft or Byrecroft in the Gazeteer of Scotland. However that does not mean that they do not exist either as small farms or hamlets.
Annan town is on the Solway Firth just east of Dumfries town. Brydekirk would be in the parish of Annan.
Good hunting

John

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
After some  googling I have found the Braecroft that you mentioned
It is a business address for a joiner/carpenter and is logged as Braecroft, Kirkton, Dumfries. Braecroft may well be an old farm
Kirkton is about 3 miles north of Dumfries in the parish of Kirkmahoe.
However I would still keep one eye on Brydekirk.

John

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 April 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
John and Pam

Thank you for all the help on locating this area, I'll look at records from Kirkmahoe and Annan.  Hopefully I'll get a hit.  Have a great weekend.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may have already seen this site but if not it is worth a look because it is brilliant! I use it all the time, places seem to change there names so much.

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/index.html

Hope you find what your looking for.

Emma

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hello susan3 + Emma,

I have found an existing property called 'Byrecroft' in Kirkton village. It may be modern -  it may be old - someone local would know. It's postcode (or zip code) is DG1 1SL and if you do a bit of map googling you should find it. I have not tried it.
There is another property called 'Barrascroft' in Kirkton with postcode DG1 1ST.

As an  extra, possibly adding to the confusion, I have found a 'Byrecroft Farm Cottage' (DG2 8QS) in Kirkgunzeon village which is in neighbouring Kirkcudbrightshire. The village is only 8.5 miles south west of Dumfries and is in the parish of Kirkgunzeon.

The whole thing may be a complete red herring. The other side of that is the possibility of a historical link with the name 'Byrecroft'. However in that context I still think it unlikely that anyone would use 'Byrecroft, Scotland' as an address.

Emma
Thanks for your input. I already know about the website but must admit that I never seem to easily find my way round all the various maps that are freely on offer.

John

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 May 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello susan3,

You seem to have ridden off into the sunset.
Any chance of an update to your problem ?

John