Author Topic: Wallasey - burial/cremation?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wallasey - burial/cremation?
« on: Wednesday 15 March 06 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My great grandfather died in Meadowbrook Road, Wallasey in 1949 but we know nothing of where he was buried.

Does this road still exist? I haven't found it on a map listed as such.

Would there be cremations back then/burials only?

What are the name of the nearby churches please (maybe Methodist but we're not sure about his religious status then as was a black sheep!)?

Is there anywhere online to access the electoral roll for that time, or any other clues to his existence in Wallasey? He moved from the North East but we only know that it was sometime between 1911 and his death, probably in the late 1920s/1930s.

S.
Thanks in advance for any help or clues at all! :)
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE
Glasgow/Ayr:  TAYLOR, GILLESPIE, CAMERON, LANG, DUNLOP, WILTON, MACKAY
Edinburgh: NAPLES
Fife: EASTON, TAYLOR
Co. Carlow/ Kilkenny (IRL) GAHAN
Co. Cork (IRL) COTTER, O'KEEFFE

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey - burial/cremation?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Does this road still exist

Would there be cremations back then/burials only?

Hello Sio
I had no idea 1949 was today classed as Back then,That makes me feel like a humane ancient monument ;D
Joking aside ;)
I have had a look on my A to Z Street Atlas and yes Meadowbrook Road( is off Hoylake  Road) is still there and in good condition ;D As for churches only a few are left now. Electoral registers can only be looked up at a reference library.
You might also find your G.Grandfather in the postal directories for Cheshire.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Celia. Didn't mean to make you feel like an ancient monument!!
Durham/N'land: RYLE, JACKSON, ROBSON, BAGNALL, HARROWER, HOOD, SPENCER, COLLEY, RAEY, ROSEBURGH, MORTON, BACKLEY, BROWELL, BEWICK, BURT, CARR, CLAYTON, DAVISON, DUNN, HOME, GIBBS, GODFREY, HALL, HOWDON, JOHNSON, JOY, LEE,  LONGSTAFF, MARSHALL, NEWTON, PRUDHOE, RAMSAY, SCAIFE, SIBBALD, SOUTHALL, STOKER, TIPLADY/TIPLADIE

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 06 13:17 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

Hi Sio
Do want a look in the directories,  or can you do that yourself?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
unless they're online i can't access them - I don't live in the UK. So if you could that would be great.

I'll PM you the details.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Only the older directories are on line Sio

Celia.
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Have read your P.M (it sounds like job for the cold case department ;D ;D) I love it ;D The directories for the 1940's are very limited years. Due to the war years,that goes for a lot of other records as well. I will do my best though,then P.M you the results maybe midweek.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Sio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 06 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. God only knows what he did during the War!!

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sio
well as Matthew was 77 when he died in 1949 he may not have been in the last war,but would have been in the first, if he was born in 1871 .Due to a change of plans i was able to visit the library earlier. You had mentioned that this G.Grandfather Matthew Robson Ryle, (of which i can find no mention0Had children to a second wife. (if)so i thought maybe any children born after his first wife died (or before :D) would be born during the years mentioned in the wallasey area.So before i went to the library i went through years of births for any Ryle births in all the B online sites including Ancestry 1837. I did not find a single one,most were in Liverpool.and other parts of the country. There are no books for the 1930's available at the library.In the diretories before 1846 (1914/21/22/i didnt find any Ryle at all in wallasey. In the the Kelly directory of L,Pool & suburbs 1946 i found. Ryles Rt Sunnyside. In 1949 in Harlian Avenue,which is still there and off Meadowbrook. I found the same Ryle (with an s) these houses must have been old cottages because they were not numbered they had names instead which was the norm in old times round the area..so the address was in 1949 Ryle, Rt,(might be short for Robert) Sunnyside,Harlian Avenue.
Mrs Hilda Ryle "Sunnyside"
By 1955 the cottages/Houses are gone or now have numbers.
Mrs Hilda Ryles now lives number 70 Harlian Avenue. She is there in 58/60/and 62. not there after that. As it now gets to be to close to the bone and decendents will be living i will P.M later findings. You can digest the above in the meantime ;D

Celia 

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials