Author Topic: Mary Japes of Willingham  (Read 2606 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mary Japes of Willingham
« on: Thursday 16 March 06 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Mary Japes married William Wayman in Willingham on 15 Feb 1795. William was born in 1776 in Willingham, but when and where was Mary born? Who were her parents?

Thank you,
Simon

Offline Kaysy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Japes of Willingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 06 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon, According to the parish register for the marriage at Willingham of William and Mary they were both of the parish Willingham, as they were married in 1795 I deducted 18, which would make her birth/bapt c. 1777. I have checked the baptisms at Willingham, there is a gap for baptisms of any Japes and variants of the name between 1760 -1789. I checked the variants Jeaps, Jeapes, Jeeps, Jieps, Jeips. As the villages of Over and Swavesey are very close to Willingham I also checked there for the name Japes etc, there were no one of that name in either village. I know this area fairly well as my wife was born at Over. My wife's grandfather came from Over and her grandmother from Willingham, within walking distance of each other, that is why I checked the other 2 villages.
The only Mary Japes I found was a baptism on the 26.6.1791 at Willingham, parents Richard & Ann Japes, far to late for your Mary.
Sorry can't be of more help.
Regards, Kaysy.
Buckinghamshire. Gt Marlow. Harris, Rockall/ell, Rackstraw, Frith, Howard, Martin. Bedfordshire. Clophill, Flitton with Silsoe. White, Parslow, Denton, Woodcraft, Waple. Hampshire. Huish. Surrey Kingston on Thames, Parslow. Cambridgeshire. Over, Willingham. Ginn, Hayden.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Japes of Willingham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 06 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your very thorough investigation. Shame about the lack of result - mists of time and all that.