Author Topic: Ecclesfield,Barns Glen? Hospital  (Read 1079 times)

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ecclesfield,Barns Glen? Hospital
« on: Thursday 16 March 06 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I have just found my3xgt grandparents in the 1771 census at the Burns /Barns Green/Glen hospital at what looks like Barns Green, St Mary's Ecclesfield along with 5 other old people there and my Benjamin is down as head, nailmaker in Hospital. There is no sign of warden just the 7 people and three descibed as head so I am mystified. Does anyone know what the place was?

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ecclesfield,Barns Glen? Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found an elderly realtive of mine living in a 'hospital' on the 1881 census, research showed that the 'hospital' was built with money provided by one of the local affluent merchants, to house 12 ladies each in their own room with a supply of coal.

It wasn't a hospital as we know them today, more a primitive type of sheltered accommodation, each of the residents was entered on the census as 'head'.

Bee  :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 06 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bee, now I have learnt something new. Does anyone know the actual name of the place - it was very difficult to read on the census image.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 06 00:04 GMT (UK) »
maybe if you give the person's name and the census details someone could have a look at the image to see if they can come up with a definite place name.

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 06 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Bee     The couple concerned were Benjamin and Elizabeth Gill, he born 1790. It was the 1861 census for Ecclesfield RG9 Piece 3457 folio 114 p 24. but I couldn't read the name clearly and hoped someone might have encountered it themselves. I hope that is nothing to offend copyright.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 06 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi painterlady

The following link gives a (albeit very) short description of the hospital

http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Ecclesfield/more.html

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Goughy
Thanks for the address, I did have a looksee and it does basically answer my question, I know I don't come of a wealthy line but sorry to see they were classed as two poor people, lucky they had some help!