Author Topic: Paddy's Day  (Read 683 times)

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Paddy's Day
« on: Thursday 16 March 06 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Happy St. Patricks Day to All!! It's also my husky's 5th birthday.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Paddy's Day
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Are people doing anything special for St Patrick's.  My husband is Irish and we are having a family supper for daughters, sons in law and grandchildren.  Beef in Guinness, champ etc followed by ice cream with Bailey's or Ben & Jerry's Dublin mudslide.  All this in Lent!!

The trade off is that I shall expect something for St George's, we English don't make enough of it.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 06 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There's already a thread on this @rootschatters
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,139756.0.html

I did St Pats feast a few years ago for neighbours, starter Black velvet, then dublin bay prawns flamed in irish whiskey, followed by beef in guinness with colcannon with field mushrooms stuffed with irish sausage, and then i cant remember what with whiskey and chocolate sauce. Got the oil frying for the prawns, poured the Guiness into a jug, and opened the champagne only to get the full force of the cork in my eye cos i was watching the prawns :o Spent the next 90 minutes trying to cook, serve & eat with one watering eye, and the next 10 days trying to explain black eye, which most people on hearing the tale, described to me as a "yuppy" accident. But i'm still going for it this year :)

Slainte (or however you spell it :))
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 06 00:05 GMT (UK) »
and at 3 minutes into St Patrick's day all the best to Irish people everywhere and to those unfortunate not to have Celtic ancestry  ;)

Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 06 02:13 GMT (UK) »
This site contains the words and music of St Patrick's Breastplate. The words were written by Mrs Ce­cil Frances Al­ex­an­der. She was born in 1818 at Redcross, Co. Wicklow and when she was a young woman married Rev. Will­iam Alex­an­der. He became the Bi­shop of Der­ry and Ra­phoe, and lat­er the An­gli­can Pri­mate for Ire­land.

The music, “St. Pat­rick (Stan­ford),” was composed by Charles V. Stan­ford

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/t/stpatric.htm
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/a/l/e/alexander_cfh.htm