Author Topic: Liverpool directory lookup wanted please 1851-61  (Read 2451 times)

Offline jrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Liverpool directory lookup wanted please 1851-61
« on: Tuesday 05 October 04 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
   I am looking for the address of William Thompson,pawnbroker.In the late 1860's he had shop at 63 Scotland Road,but this does not show on censuses,his son was born in Westbourne Street ,Everton in 1863 but the house had not been built in 1861.any help appreciated.I have his baptism 1829 St.Peter's,Liverpool and then nothing until 1871 census(in Southport-moved there 1870).
    any help appreciated.
        John
Shropshire(Telford area)-Robinson,Cooper,Pearce
Cheshire(Runcorn/Frodsham)-Illidge,Jackson,Shingler
Liverpool-Thompson,Padmore,Gardner
Salford/Manchester-Hall
Prescot- Hornby
Stafforshire-Steel,Oliver
Preston-Gardner
Devon-Haydon

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool directory lookup wanted please 1851-61
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 01:39 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look through the Gores Directory on Thursday for you.
Viv. ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline jrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,
         thanks for the offer,he is in Slaters 1869 a pawnbroker at 63 Scotland Road,unfortunately this address does not show on 1861 census,and he moved to Southport in 1870,
    regards,
        John
Salford/Manchester-Hall
Prescot- Hornby
Preston-Gardner
Devon-Haydon

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi JOhn,
Sorry I didn't manage your lookup today, the record office was so busy, I had only booked my machine for the allotted two hours, 3pm-5pm, it usually empties out around 5pm, but today it was full of newcomers. I'll try and go again over the weekend, if not, it'll be next week.
Apologies.
Viv. :-[
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline jrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,
        dont worry ,I have been struggling so hard with this person for so long-have his baptism on IGI ,1829,have documents which say that in 1836 when his father died(William was then six) he was placed in care of his aunt(Mary Padmore),,but 5 years later on 1841 have found Mary Padmore where she was supposed to be,but she has lost William and his brother James,I then cant find him on census til 1871 southport,but all children are on IGI christened St.Peter's,Liverpool,I think they were mainly in Everton area.,any help however small it might seem will be much appreciated.
   Regards,
            John

PS,Viv,do you live in Liverpool,if so would you know whether William Brown Library would have records for baptisms at St.George's,Everton (marriages there are on IGI but no baptisms)
Salford/Manchester-Hall
Prescot- Hornby
Preston-Gardner
Devon-Haydon

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 November 04 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
I found your William Thompson in the 1871 Gores Directory at 40, Derby Road, Southport plus his shop at 63, Scotland Road, I worked backwards, he  was at the same address in1869, then in 1868  he just had the shop, but in 1867, he was living at 73, Everton Terrace, and he had the same shop, so I reckon he moved to Southport in 1868.
When I go to the library next week, I'll go back to 1863 and see if there were any more moves along the way.
Incidentally, did William have a brother who was also a pawnbroker? I found another Thompson while I was looking and thought they could be related.
Regards,
Vi :)

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 November 04 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
Just noticed your query about St Georges marriages, I must have missed it when I read the main part of your message.
I'm sure that they have the records in the library, I don't know if they have been microfilmed or if they'll be in the Archive Room.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know, and if you want anything looking up there you can let me know, do you still have my e-mail address?
Regards,
Vi