Author Topic: A good moan  (Read 3133 times)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
Re: A good moan
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 March 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I had a flick through my 'hot matches' a few weeks back, found four people with the same three common ancestors, sent a message to all four, had one reply confirming that we did indeed have the link, sent her loads of info on that family and nothing - not even an acknowledgement  >:(

I think the Hot Matches are useless to be honest, there may be one likely match in  every dozen or so 'matches' and it takes far too long to trawl through them all.  If they matched the place of birth with the year (where there is one) it would be more efficient .

I have found two contacts that have been really helpful so like others, I cannot dismiss GR out of hand, but I very rarely go there now.  I have never tried the chat room and I generally find the message boards a bit juvenile.

Let's face it, they may have their uses but Rootschat eclipses the rest  ;D

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 March 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
GenesReunited has its uses, though. I have had problems with my computer and, although I had saved my family tree to disc, when the computer was fixed I could no longer access the information on the disc! GenesReunited at least held the basics of my tree so that I didn't have to spend hours searching through all my paperwork.

I have encountered some very friendly and helpful people on there but equally I have found those who take all your information and say they'll get back in touch but never do!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 March 06 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I get fed up with people asking "I have a John Smith on my tree, are we related?".  Seriously though, I have had about half a dozen people asking if their Smith was related, without giving any info.  I didn't even know which person on my tree they were asking about because I have 3 separate Smith branches.

Andrew

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 March 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Genes Reunited does have its uses.  I have just remembered it was through a contact on GR that I was told about Rootschat so there you go!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 March 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all :)

I to am fed up with G/U site. has anybody else tried this site.

http://forum.yourfamilytreemag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1499

I think this is right,

Pete. :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /