Author Topic: Bishop's Transcripts  (Read 1659 times)

Offline NicholasJB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bishop's Transcripts
« on: Friday 17 March 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Are there any CDs or other locations where I can access the Bishop's Transcripts for Shropshire. I am particularly interested in searching the Bishop's Transcripts and/or Parish records for Stoke St. Milborough circa 1822-1828 in order to find the father of an illegitimate child.

Any advice on where I should be looking/what I should be buying?

Nicholas James Bridgewater
England: Booth, Bridgewater, Brown, Buckley, Cooper, Hopley, Holt, Hughes, Kirkham, Laughton (Lawton/Lotton), Lewis, Stevenson, Tunley, Yates

Scotland: Eaton (Ayton), Bell, Carr, Carrie (Kerrie), Cobb, Fyfe, Kent, Miller, Ochterlony (Auchterlonie), Taylor

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop's Transcripts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Parish records for Stoke St Millborough are held at the Shropshire Archives on microfiche.

Here's the link for the website: http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

I'm not certain about the Bishops Transcripts but the staff at the Archives are extremely helpful.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am not convinced that the BTs will help greatly in giving a father's name.  They are copies of the original register and do not often have extra information.  You really need to look at the Parish Chest.  That will be the records of the money given to the poor etc.  Those who had to hand out money for the upkeep of the mother often tried to find the father and make him pay - just as we do today.   Bastardy bonds do exist for many places but you will need to contact the appropriate record office and ask if they survive for that particular parish.  Many do not but you may be lucky.
Andrea

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 06 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I do know that hardly any Bastary Bonds survived for Shropshire - I only know because I asked the same question a few days ago ;)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand