Author Topic: Spelling mistakes on Certificates  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Spelling mistakes on Certificates
« on: Friday 17 March 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Have any of you had some funny spelling mistakes?  I've had Leeds spelt 'Leads', Hunslet spelt 'Hunset'.  And apparently there's a County of Leeds! ;D (The mods had better add a new county section!)

Infact, after having a closer look at the certificates I have, there are 3 or 4 which say the County of Leeds :P

Andrew

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling mistakes on Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
My gt uncles surname was spelt incorrectly on his death certificate [ie. not as it appeared on the BMD index] ~ I complained and they asked me how I'd like it spelt and sent me a new copy! He was a WW1 victim.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a wrong date put on one of mine

A death of a child David John Lewis of Ynyshir, 1 month. 14 June 1803.  :o

It should of been 1883
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 March 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
They gave my g-grandfather from Carno, Montgomeryshire's occupation as Sailor.  There he was putting the finishing touches to his double breasted tweed coracle.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 09:00 BST (UK) »
Dave

LOL

I don't think I have noticed any so far, but I'm going to go back and check, these ones so far are so funny!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Now I come to think of it I had an awful job finding the marriage of Ann Birkhead because on her marriage she was down as Hannah Birkitt ::)

Andrew

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The spelling mistakes I found were concerning my GG Granfather Benjamin Cheshire and were transcription and enumerators errors rather than mistakes on certificates.

On Freebmd it says he was born in Newington, well that sent me searching in completely the wrong place until I viewed the page and it read Nuneaton.  ::)

In 1851 the same ancestor's surname changed to Cherin and in 1871 Benjamin was down as born in Thingaton (he was living with his mother-in-law at the time, she probably couldn't be bothered)  ;)

No doubt the certificate mistake is on it's way!! If only it would turn up from the GRO!!!!  :'(

Pipkim
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives