Author Topic: gypsies in battersea  (Read 10033 times)

Offline cynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
gypsies in battersea
« on: Friday 17 March 06 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information about gypsy sites in Battersea. My great uncle Frederick Harvey married a gypsy girl Britannia Simpson in Fulham and in 1901 were living in a caravan in Donovans Yard, Cabue Road (think that is right).  I believe they lived all their life in caravans, probably mostly in Battersea.   They had several children.

Thanks Cynda

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: gypsies in battersea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cynda,

The name of the road you mention is Cabul Road.  The Charles Booth archive describes the site and another in the area in one of the notebooks:

"Between Latchmere Gove and Stainforth Road is a colony of Gypsies in vans who always spend the winter there and most of the summer as they do not go much into the country but hawk their goods about London.  Just opposite them north of Cabul Road (Sheepcote Lane) is another colony of van dwellers belonging to some Fair cat..."  (try as I might I cannot make out what the word is  :( )

These comments were written in the late 1890s and the whole area is described as fairly poor.  The notebooks and maps can be viewed here:

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/

Having checked out the maps, both 19th century and modern maps, this area was situated between two railway lines not far from Clapham Junction station.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell
Will look further into the references.
Cynda

Offline Candlemas020202

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Cynda - -

I don't know whether you still check this board...your OP was a few years ago!

Frederick and Brittania Harvey are my maternal great grandparents.  Their daughter - Julia Harvey (married name Penfold) - was my grandmother. 

I have quite a bit of information about the family.  Feel free to get in touch if you like. 

- - Jason         

Offline cynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but it is a while since I came on Rootschat but I am delighted to have found a descendant of Frederick & Britannia.  I should love to exchange information.
Cynda

Offline Candlemas020202

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
Cynda - -

So nice to hear from you!  Here is a picture that my mother gave me of your great uncle (my great-grandfather) Frederick Harvey:

Frederick was born in 1865 and his parents were Stephen & Jane Harvey née Cowdry.  My mum has very fond memories of Frederick (her grandfather) which I'd love to share.  If you want to PM me your e-mail address I can send along some of the family research I've done and a story or two.  I'll see if I have anymore photos as well.

- - Jason

Offline cynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info and photo. There is a definite family likeness!   I have sent you a personal message via Roots so that we can exchange more family information.

Cynthia

Offline cynda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 11 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason
Have you emailed me at all?  I have not heard from you since mid-July but would like to continue correspondence and hope I have not lost any mail.
Cynthia

Offline Bigblue2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this will be read as I can see the posts were some years ago.

Frederick and Brittania Harvey were my great grandparents. Their son Thomas (Tom Harvey) was my grandfather. My Dad, Henry was one of two sons of Tom Harvey, sadly both sons are now deceased.

It is lovely to see the image of Frederick which I found after much searching about Dovovan's Yard. I recall my father talking of his grandfather Frederick as a very smartly dressed man who had a cane with a sword in it. He also said his wife Brittania was sometimes referred to as"Britty".
My dad often mentioned his father's brother Steve and his sister Julia and told me Julia married into the Penfolld family. I have in my possession my grandfather and grandmother's marriage certificate which confirms Julia and Robert were witnesses at Mt grandparents' wedding on 27 Feb 1921.

I hope this info is picked up by some of my distant relatives.

Christine