Author Topic: Wood Birth - Oldcastle 1827/28  (Read 11278 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wood Birth - Oldcastle 1827/28
« on: Friday 17 March 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone help? I am trying to find (unsuccessfully so far!) the birth of my 3x great grandmother Margaret Wood(s) in 1827/28 who indicated on the 1851 Census in Manchester that she was born  in Ireland. Her marriage certificate states that her Father was Nicholas Wood a coachbuilder. I have since found a possible birth for Nicholas of about 1800 in Oldcastle, Meath and some siblings for him. The names match one or two of Margarets children.

Can anyone help with a birth for Margaret and was this Nicholas in Oldcastle a coachbuilder?

I am at a brick wall with this one so any help would be wonderful!

Best wishes

David 
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Birth - Oldcastle 1827/28
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 08:06 GMT (UK) »
David JP. I live about 4 miles from Oldcastle, and visit there several times a week, there is a Woods family still there, they were once quite large landowners, but over the years have sold bits off, there are as far as i know two living members John, & Bunty, who are both in there 70/80 s, i will copy your post and show the copy to them next time i'm in Oldcastle, I'll be back, Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger,

Thanks very much!! I am now waiting with baited breath!

Regards

David

PS: As regards the delay in responding, I'm not ignoring you but am having internet connection problems!
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 06 08:25 GMT (UK) »
David JP,  I have spoken to John Wood, ,sorry to say his family have only been here since 1906, his dad was in the British army , and married into a local land owning family, , i also spoke to a local historian,, and he has no recollection  or  info of a Wood (S) family. Have you an indication of the familys religion ?, i could check local grave yards & Churches. Bodger
PS. I'm told that Wood is English, & Woods is Irish !!!!
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 06 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bodger,

Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy with other threads and checking Info!

As regards religion I don't know, any and all info regarding Woods births/marriages etc that I have I have obtained from the IGI (familysearch website) and haven't been able to confirm or otherwise on the ground as it were as yet!

What I have is as folows:

James Woods b about 1772, Oldcastle, Meath m Mrs James Woods, about 1795, Oldcastle, Meath.

Children were:

James Domonic Woods b about 1796, Oldcastle, Meath. Died 1851.(Death recorded on IGI record.)
Roger Woods b about 1798, Oldcastle, Meath.
Nicholas Woods b about 1800, Oldcastle, Meath. (possibly my 4x Gt Grandfather)
Terence Woods b about 1802, Oldcastle, Meath.
Catherine Woods b about 1804, Oldcastle, Meath.
Anne Woods b about 1806, Olcastle, Meath.

The date of birth fits for Nicholas as Margaret (my 3x Gt Grandmother) was born 1827/28 in Ireland. Nicholas was by trade a Coachbuilder, would there be any trade directories to look in?

This is pretty much all I have on the Woods family so anything that you can unearth would be wonderful!!

Regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger,

Many apologies for the silence this end, what with serious computer problems then moving house etc! its been a fairly busy time, all happily sorted now tho!

Ok, I've been back over what I have including Margaret's marriage cert. It shows that Margaret Wood married John Doyle in a Catholic Chapel in Manchester, therefore i think we can safely say that she was Catholic by religion!

It looks like she may have come over to England sometime around 1841 - 47, potato famine period, unless i forget my history lessons!!  ;D

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether the whole family may have been wiped out by said famine, as there seems to be so little info if any  to be found on this family!

If you were able to find anything on this most frustrating family of mine I would be forever grateful, as it has been a brickwall for about 10 years!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

David

Offline the wanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
David
In 1778 the local landlord commissioned a map of Oldcastle. Unfortunately there is no mention of a Woods,however it is possible the family could have been
living in a property which was sub let.

Best Regards,
                       The Wanderer.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
David, the landlord in question was by the name of Naper, they were granted land back in cromwellian times, and are still there, i did contact them regarding Wood family, they suggested trying a local Wood family, i had tried them earlier, this family came here long after yours, so were not usefu. I f you Google Naper, Oldcastle or Loughcrew House, you will find their website,  contact them i know they have some records left, but not sure what era. if asking about Wood make sure you spell it with the s addition,  bodger

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi The Wanderer & Bodger,

Thanks very much for your replies!

Bodger, i will google those as suggested, many thanks!

What Catholic Church(es) are there in Oldcastle?

Regards

David