Author Topic: 1841 Ansell Family  (Read 2222 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Ansell Family
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking for a Sophia Ansell on 1841 census-can anyone help? Husband is named Isaac; in 1851, they are living in Ship Street in Brighton
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Ansell Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I cant say for certain but the family was probably in John Street, Brighton in 1841.

The records show them at that address between 1832 to 1837 and lists the following baptisms of other children of Isaac & Sophia

Eliza bapt 3 Sept 1837 (Dtr of Isaac the Grocer)
Frederick bapt 3 June 1832 (son of Isaac a servant)
William bapt 17 Dec 1836 (son of Isaac a shop keeper)

Roy G

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roy-I have 1841 Brighton census but it was so huge-I will look for John Street; strangely on their son Edward's marriage cert, Isaac is listed as a deceased labourer but his sons did become grocers so they may have taken the shop.

Cheers.  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 06 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ann

re John Street
Please note that on some censuses, John Street can appear as Saint John Street, so look for it under both names.  You should find it between the lower part of Edward Street and Carlton Hill.

Roy G

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you let me know where you found these baptism details please for Edward's siblings?

Thanks

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Sussex Family History Group Microfiche Ref PF11
Brighton Baptisms 1813 -1837
Baptisms undertaken at St Nicholas Church Brighton between 1813 -1837.

These have the unusual advantage that the parish clerk not only noted the street (rather than just writing "Brighton") and often the father's occupation.

The children, professions and addresses of several other Ansells are also listed.  Not  only were there your Ansell green grocers, but also a family of Ansell butchers

Roy G

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Superb

Thank you-I am still trawling the censuses in vain but you have given me loads more information; I'm a veggie so didn't inherit a desire to be a butcher. Is there any chance Sophia's surname was listed on any of the entries? I have Edward's birth cert and her surname is extremely difficult to decipher (looks like Selger or Setzer and we believe she was born in Holland)

Excellent,  Thanks again

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 06 13:30 GMT (UK) »
No wife's maiden name on the baptismal transcript.
But if the family is the one at 49 Ship street in 1851, her birth place is recorded on that census as Whitham in Essex not Holland.

Roy G

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 March 06 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roy

It is intriguing as Sophia is listed on 1861 census as being born in Holland; I have trawled through all 800+ pages of Brighton census and to no avail; I will try nearby towns later

Thanks v much